Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Making a Coat?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Spike

Default Making a Coat?

Hello, I hope every one is doing well.

I am getting ready for my first black bear hunt this up coming season. I wanted to know about making a coat from its fur.

In general - how difficult is it to get a coat made from the fur? Is it expensive? I would like to make a coat that has a hood (that has the bears head/face) - how doable is this?

I am sorry for all the questions - i am very inexperienced with taxidermy/related things.

Would it be expensive to do this?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think a black bear is going to make a very nice coat. You're probably going to want a finer fur like beaver, lynx, or fox. Not saying it isn't possible, but any bear fur coat I have seen looked absolutely terrible.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Cole said it's not going to make the nicest coat unless you get a really nice northern bear with good hair and you are probably going to need a couple of them depending on what kind of coat you are looking for. Go to USA foxx & fur. That would be a place to start with a garment project. Not really anything to do with a taxidermist beside fleshing and drying the hide if you don't know how. http://www.usafoxx.com/