Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

antler coloring

Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Spike

Default antler coloring

i have some bleached antlers that i would like to restore. i have heard you need to seal real porus antlers before you stain if so what do i use? also i see some use darker stains but the deer in my area a more bone color with brown at base's where they have been rubbing. any help would be greatly appreciated. i love deer hunting and think this would be a great hobby over the winter months to occupy my time.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Spike

i never sealed them before staining as this would not allow the stain to penetrate. try some old useless antlers first. i have used oil paints thinned with laquer thinner and start very light and build up to desired tint. also a powder called potassium permangenate from a plumbing store or well driller mixed with denatured alcohol will stain them. start out with a thin mixture and build it up. it will go on purple but will turn brown. definitely do this outside or good ventilation.