Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
are bugs in mounts a big problem? >

are bugs in mounts a big problem?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

are bugs in mounts a big problem?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Spike

i tried the stuff jake95 referred to from McKenzie. seems like it works but it leaves a chemical smell and is very harsh. i don't know how much i should really spray inside and is it a pesticide like raid? check out that product "stuffer1" suggested. it looks new.
?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Spike

i looked at the website. sounds good. 100% natural and kills all bugs. if anyone has checked it out let me know. i would like to know if anyone else tried it or knows anything about it.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

found out they are coming out with a preventer spray. cleans and keeps bugs off. use it every 6 months.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good or bad taxidermy can be attacked by insects. Some of the worst invaders are Dermestid beetles. I would never use Raid (or similar products) on valuable mounts. The petroleum distillates in such can be bad news. I have (in the past) utilized dusts combed or lightly brushed into the fur. After a day or so it can then be gently vacuumed out. An inert product like DE (diatomaceous earth) is an example of a safer product. Also, as mentioned, there are ready made products developed and labeled for such applications.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

No need to actually physicaly spray right on the mount with Raid at all - you can treat the inside a large plastic bag that is big enough to cover the whole mount and is a far better way to go. Once the inside of the bag is sprayed (3 second burst is enough) insert your mount - seal the bag tightly with a twist tie and leave it for a few days. This is a Fumigating method I have used on a few infested mounts and has worked very well.

JW

So actually you are not
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have used the Raid in the plastic bag way for many, many years and it does work, BUT you need to leave the mount in the bag for a couple of months to kill all phases of the larva, pupa and beetles. Breakthrough issue #104 winter 2011 has a great story on insects in Taxidermy with a new product,(Mount Saver) that sounds great . Check it out.