Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Tanning question >

Tanning question

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Tanning question

Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tanning question

I have a buckhide I want to have tanned, but nobody around here does that any more. I've found quite a few do-it-yourself kits available online. Anybody here have any experience with those kits? As a youth I used to run a trap-line & I've skinned countless muskrats, coons, foxes etc., so I'm not against putting in some elbow grease to get the job done. I'm just wondering if anybody here has done it & if so, what suggestions do you have. I want to make buckskin - no hair left on it. It came off approx. 180 lb. Whitetail. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a taxidermist near you, he can order you a kit from McKenzie Supply. But be forwarned, I did ONE beaver for a friend, it was a small beaver. I only ever did one and will never attempt it again. The time it takes to do it right is worth paying someone else to do it.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a good quality tan, send it to a commercial tannery.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to save some time and "elbow grease" just use a pressure washer to get the meat and fat off the hide before using the tanning kit http://www.mckenziesp.com/Tanning-Kits-C1943.aspx

Google something like "pressure washer for deer capes" or something like that to get more info
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Spike

You could always brain tan. God put enough brains in an animal to tan their own hides.

http://braintanned.com/howto.html
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Spike

the only problem with doing it yourself is it doesn't usually come out soft and flexible. you have to "break the skin". which takes a lot of time. if you want hair off i would send it out. they can dye the leather many colors. they usually have a cutoff date late in January or early February. i have used Outback Imagery in Pa. i don't have a number but, with the internet you will find them.