Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

wet tan or dry?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah he does stay real busy. I did think that he was kinda stretching the 6 months to dry thing, but I do like his work. I guess if you find a good taxidermist that you really like their work you should just stick with em.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by not the dogs
Thanks for your replies. I just wondered because the taxi that I have been using does the wet tan. There is another one that does a dry tan. From what I can tell , both do great work. It does take awhile to get my mounts back. Sometimes almost 2 years for a whitetail. The other guy has always had my brothers ready in 6 months or less doing a dry tan. My taxi does all the work himself. He swears that a dry tan will start to turn yellow in the ears and also turn loose and not keep its form as good as a wet tan. I'm not sure if he's just trying to keep me as a customer or not. Like I said , He does great work but I would like to get a mount back quicker than 2 years. He also said that a wet tan takes 6 months to dry . Does this sound right?
Maybe he's trying to keep you, or maybe he is just misinformed. Like I said, the tans are the same, one has just been dried. They both take the same amount of time to dry once mounted, because the dry tan has been re-hydrated before mounting. 6 month drying time sounds like someone trying to justify a lengthy turnaround.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dry tans do take longer to tan. A wet tan goes in the tan, gets oiled and hung the next day, then it gets tumbled in saw dust and caged, then groomed and frozen. It is done in two to three days at the most where as a dry tan has to be hung and stretched on until it is dried before getting tumbled, then it has to hang even longer and gets tumbled about three to four times before it is complete, this prosess takes close to a month. A wet tan is the quicker more economical way to go. You will get a wet tan back from than tanner quicker than a dry tan, or you should anyway.

Last edited by fritz1; 07-13-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I suspect there may be a bit of a misunderstanding. I’m guessing that the faster taxidermist is using dry preservative, not a dry tan. Some people call it dry tan, but it’s not a tan. Are you sure your taxidermist didn’t say it took 6 months to get a wet tanned hid back from the tannery? I could buy that. They certainly don’t take 6 months to dry.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

M.Magis you could be right. I have a mild case of celebral palsey and it does effect my hearing a great deal. I do hear things different sometimes LOL. Thanks to everyone for all of the comments and may we all have great seasons this year.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
I suspect there may be a bit of a misunderstanding. I’m guessing that the faster taxidermist is using dry preservative, not a dry tan. Some people call it dry tan, but it’s not a tan. Are you sure your taxidermist didn’t say it took 6 months to get a wet tanned hid back from the tannery? I could buy that. They certainly don’t take 6 months to dry.

I could buy that as well.