Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

8 point replica

Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default 8 point replica

Just finished up mounting this self molded and painted Minnesota 8 point replica on a shoulder.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

trophy time, Not to be a smart A$$ but what does "Self molded & painted" mean?? I just do not understand it, a person molds a set of antlers, gets a cape, and wala-- instant trophy, I do know that sportsman can be some of the most "shallowest" people in the world, but this phony deer and fish crap really takes the cake, anyone ever hear of hunting??? I would take a real "fork horn" mount over a 12pt plastic anyday. but i will say your mount looks good, BUT who are ya fooling??? JMOP Doc

Last edited by DocD; 06-06-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

DocD,

( Self Molded and Painted ) Customer came in and wanted his deer molded. ( I take antlers and horns and make replicas ) I molded it for him so that his buddy could have a set.
There is some guy/gals out there that get these for collections, say they would want the top 5 or so for a specific state than they would get a replica.
Just take for instance you would shoot the Hole in the horn, Milo Hansen buck, you are going to want copies for your protection those hard horn antlers are worth over $75,000
You would never guess how many calls I get every year that my antlers were stolen, burned up or whatever else happened. If they would have had it replicated they would not have to worry about it. A replica done the right way you could never tell the difference from the real thing, painted to match and have the same weight.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DocD
trophy time, Not to be a smart A$$ but what does "Self molded & painted" mean?? I just do not understand it, a person molds a set of antlers, gets a cape, and wala-- instant trophy, I do know that sportsman can be some of the most "shallowest" people in the world, but this phony deer and fish crap really takes the cake, anyone ever hear of hunting??? I would take a real "fork horn" mount over a 12pt plastic anyday. but i will say your mount looks good, BUT who are ya fooling??? JMOP Doc

Wow...a little close minded aren't we?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What does a ball park figure on a set of repo antlers?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

If you are looking at just buying a set anywhere from $275.00 up to $2000.00 depending upon if that buck is a world record or just a nice buck. If you are having a set molded it just depends on the gross score to give you a price.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very Nice replicas! Good Job.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
Wow...a little close minded aren't we?
Ya, but I guess I shouldn't be because I think there are good reasons for replicas, What turns me off is someone having a set made up and passing them off as an animal they shot, (and it happens) in an earier thread "Unbelievable Mass" I submitted 3 posts as to my feeling on Replicas, (I think they are valid concerns), Again I have no problems with replicas but I think the viewer should know they are replicas, there are too many of us that work hard for our trophys, and this is just my opinion, here is my last post from "Unbelievable Mass" which kind of sums up my feelings. Doc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see any problem at all (in fact I support it) with displaying reproductions for the reasons you pointed out. But my problem is when someone has a set made and then hangs them on the wall (taking credit for the harvest) And this is being done!!, I will give you an example, I was fishing with a guy and he caught a nice pike, he released it, but before doing so, we measured it, weighted it, took pictures of it, so he could have a reproduction made, well,, when he received his mount it looked rather large to me, I asked him about it, being a good friend he confided in me that he use the "power of the pencil" and added a little here and there. (more than a little imop).
I certainly do not want to start an argument but reproductions are not real!! They are fake, no matter how good or detailed the reproduction is, (a fake $10 no matter how good--is still a fake)

I have seen (as I am sure you have) manufactured antlers, I know a guy who has a couple of nice mounts which were man-made (fake) he doesn't take credit for them, but has them in his store. I have some nice wildlife mounts, I earned everyone of them, and it really "turns my Crank" when I see someone passing off a fake as one they "Worked" so hard to get. NO DISRESPECT to anyone!!! but I don't look very positive at a taxidermist who will do this for someone. There is nothing wrong with reproducing the "Great Ones" so we can all see them. I am like you, I enjoy looking at a large set of antlers, BUT I want them to have came off a deer,,, Not taken out of a mold. Doc