Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

??? about nose

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default ??? about nose

Just got mount back and I guess he used a plastic nose which is fine. A buddy of mine got a couple back recently (different taxi) and I know his noses are plastic. Anyway my mounts nose curls under and then down over the bottom lip. My buddies does not do this. Is this a different type or a mistake on mine?? You can stick a knife blade in his mouth and mine is covered solid by the nose piece. It is a bit hard to see but now that I noticed it I will always know it is there. The bottom lip has the same bumps on it as the nose. It is just about a half inch wide. Some of you pros let me know please.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I assume you're talking about deer mounts. Though there are reproduction noses out there, I doubt that's what you're seeing since they're seldom used. I'm having a tough time pictures what you're describing, any chance you can take a picture? Bottom line is, if it doesn't look like an actual deers muzzle, it's wrong. Sounds like both are wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Plastic nose ?
I,m not a taxi. but I,ve seen and been to many taxi shops and never seen anything simular to what your describing ?
I would guess if the nose was damaged or shot off it would need to be replaced ,but I dont think its a very common thing ?
Are you sure your buddies mounts arent open mouth mounts ?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

If you go to this site you will see that the nose and upper lip are correct as you said.

http://www.alaskanalpinetreks.com/Im...tsFlehmen.html

http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...G_2479.jpg?o=2

http://www.google.com/search?q=flehm...ient=firefox-a

Last edited by rgswildlife; 04-29-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

All the mounts are closed mouth. I will get pics up before long to show what I am talking about. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

The black for the bottom lip in front and about 1/2 inch wide is part of the nose piece.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I just went and looked at some very high quality mounts done by a retired taxi that just mounts for very few old clients. He has won several awards and the guy had some there over 20 years old that look like they were just done. Anyway his noses are natural and look the same as mine. My buddy has plastic noses because he bragged on how much better they were when he brought his home. I paid more and waited 10 months longer because this is my son's first buck so I just wanna make sure it is right. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know what you are describing, but if you want it to look "right" then you just want it to look real. If the upper and lower lip are one piece, (fused together) then the deer can't open his mouth, so that would not be "right." Who cares what your buddies looks like, as long as you are happy with yours.