Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Cape  removal/prep >

Cape removal/prep

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Cape removal/prep

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Wink Cape removal/prep

Ok i know this is such short notice but i am Heading to NEWZEALAND this thursday for 2 weeks of hunting, how do i cape out my trophy and preserv it to get it shipped back to the USA for my taxidermist (which I havn't chose yet) to do the mount? I know strippng it off the animal is critical .

Thanks for any replies
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

When you field dress your animal, don't cut within 6 inches of the armpits for a shoulder mount. Skin the animal all the way up to the base of the skull and cut off head leaving the cape on the head. Salt the hide and roll it up flesh to flesh or freeze it. CJ
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjohnson3006
When you field dress your animal, don't cut within 6 inches of the armpits for a shoulder mount. Skin the animal all the way up to the base of the skull and cut off head leaving the cape on the head. Salt the hide and roll it up flesh to flesh or freeze it. CJ
That is not going to work unless it is frozen and freezing isnt really an option when shipping takes as long as it will take to get your animal into the country. That head and the juices oozing out down into the neck of you cape are going to spoil that hide well before it gets back home to you... I'm guessing you are going with a guide service and they should know how to properly cape out and flesh your animal, salt it, and get it shipped home for you. If not do some google searches or youtube on how to properly cape and flesh your own animal and prep it for salt and get it salted and dried to send home.