Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

bat?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Spike

Default bat?

Ok my grandma had a bat in her house today and well my dad went over and killed the poor thing.... I kept telling them to just let it out the window or door... any way now they got a dead bat and i want to preserve it some how. I would like it spred out on a board on my wall but to get there how do i preserve it? I read some where to gut it and fill it with cotton and let it dry out. That dont sound right to me.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Bats are no different than any other mammal. They need to be skinned and tanned just the same. First I would make sure you can legally posses it in your state.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your Grandmother had a bat in her house you should contact a Doctor and the County health department. You see, if you don't know exactly how long the bat was in the house and where it was the whole time, you cannot be sure it did not come into contact with someone. A bats teeth and claws are so small that if it bit or scratched someone, it could be hard to tell. Bats can carry rabies and there is no cure if you or one of your family members gets exposed. Most of the time everyone who potentially could have been exposed will have to get shots. Don't waste any time, call your doctor, the county health department or the Center For Disease Control.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 01-07-2011 at 05:39 AM.