Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Mounting antlers >

Mounting antlers

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Mounting antlers

Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mounting antlers

Never mounted a set of antlers. This year i got a nice 6 point and took the antlers but am curious on what you do to clean up the skull etc..... i don't want to ruin anything with bleach etc... so far i took out what i could but there are lots of left overs on the skull.

Can anyone tell me what to do? i want to put these on a nice piece of wood with the 2 from hoofs next to it. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by semi
Never mounted a set of antlers. This year i got a nice 6 point and took the antlers but am curious on what you do to clean up the skull etc..... i don't want to ruin anything with bleach etc... so far i took out what i could but there are lots of left overs on the skull.

Can anyone tell me what to do? i want to put these on a nice piece of wood with the 2 from hoofs next to it. Any help would be appreciated.
the skull plate and what not you can just brush with some blech, but the hoof, well i had a pair for about a week, and the were soon thrown away, i let them sit out side for about a month to dry out but after a while of sitting inside they started to stink but the skull, just clean it up, brush it with some bleach and hang er up
Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Spike

Default Easy way to clean up antlers skull plate

I have an easy way to do antlers, without the smell of bleach, and possibly bleaching the rack on accident. You would go someplace such as Walmart, or Hobby Lobby, get yourself an exacto blade kit, #10's blades. Also some latex gloves, they will keep your hands safe from cutting yourself. Becareful, cut away everything that you can, the hair,skin,flesh,meat. Try and pick it clean, using those blades. To where there should barely be nothing at all. Fill up a pot with water, big enough that the skull plate will fit down inside it. Add some dawn dish soap to the water. The dawn will keep grease off antlers. Bring water to a boil and put in antlers with skull plate down into water, the antlers may be submerged some also, but they should be ok, but don't leave skull plate in the water for a long period, just long enough to where you can tell the meat and cartilage is cooked. Take it out from time to time to check it. When its ready, Take it out and again, use the blades to pick it clean. You have to use good judgement on how long to leave in boiling water. Also don't boil antlers than wait two hours to cut the rest of the meat off, by that time the meat will be harder to get off, best to do it right after you pull it from water. You might have to let it cool down a little bit, but not too long.

Another method, if you have time to waste, go get yourself some Borax, you can buy it at the grocery store. Cut the hair and skin off, any meat that is left, cover the skull plate in borax, and after a month or so, the meat, looks like its been freeze dried. And with an exacto blade, it comes right off. I have pictures of antlers I've done, and thats the method I used. You can check out my website. http://www.wrightwaytaxidermy.com