Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
tanning a bear hide >

tanning a bear hide

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

tanning a bear hide

Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default tanning a bear hide

I was think about trying to tan my bear hide myself. Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, put that thought our of your head. Even a deer hide is beyond what any home tanner should try and a bear is worse yet. A bear is only for the professional tannery if you want a nice soft, clean skin. There's a reason they're expensive to have done. If you decide to give it a shot, be prepared that it will most likely not turn out well at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, nearly impossible to get a quality bear skin home tanned successfully. Too much specialized equipment needed for this job. Let a pro handle the job. I've owned a full time taxidermy shop for over 10 years, and have home tanned over 1000 deer. I send every one of my bears to a commercial tannery.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

i agree, send it to a comerical tannery. bears are greasy and just a pain in the butt. send it to a tannery and thank us in the long run LOL