Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
FOUND SOME NICE SHEDS! how do I darken em? >

FOUND SOME NICE SHEDS! how do I darken em?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

FOUND SOME NICE SHEDS! how do I darken em?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default FOUND SOME NICE SHEDS! how do I darken em?

I Have found some really nice antlers latley! I will post some pics later. The sheds are big but they are old and bleached, what is the best way to darken em. I have used wood stain in the past but that only works on certain sheds.

I would appreciate some advice,
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmmm
I would think that wood stain would work on all sheds.
Mabye you should look it up on google.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Smile Stain horns

Potassium Permanganate available from Jonas and Research Mannikins works the best the darker you want it the more coats you put on.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use stain. Whats nice is you can research the bulls in ur area and figure out the horn color and buy a stain to match. use a pic or another horn and mimic the horn. I stain first then use steal wool on the areas i want ligher.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Spike

deernutz you sound experienced would you (or anyone else)happen to know how to do a european mount cheaply thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why yes I do. First cut the head off at the first vertebrae.
1. Skin the head. (Easiest way is to make a cut from behind each horn, and having them meet making a Y down the back of the head down the back of the neck)

2. Once the hide is off use a saw and make a even cut at the base of the brain cavity. The cut should come out behind the back molars in the upper jaw. Take your time or it will be un even and you spent some time trying to even it out. I like to use a water based maker to make a dotted line as a reference.

3. Once the cut is made use a small sharp knife to start taking off as much flesh as you can. Take the eyes out, the tongue. Dont be afraid to get into the nasal cavity. Theres a bunch of cartilage in there. Go ahead and remove the brain.

4. Once you taken as much flesh as possible. Take a big soup pot and fill it with water 1/4 cup dawn dish soap and arm and hammer cloths det. place the skull in the water and place it on a propane burner. Some advice do it in your garage to outside. I learned when the wife comes home and it smells and theres a boiling skull on the stove she tends to look at you like your Jeffery Dahmer.

5. I usually boil it for a couple hrs then take it out and take of more flesh off. The skull and brain cavity has a skin you have to peel off. I use pliers.

6. The I put in back in for another couple hrs. Take it out and flesh it out again. Be careful not to boil it to long the bones turn soft. If this happens let it dry over night and finish fleshing.

7. So now you have a clean skull. Now go to ur local Walgreens and buy 15 bottles of peroxide for something like $1.50 a bottle. u can use your same soap pot. Place the skull in the pot and pour the peroxide in the pot until it gets close to the antler bases. I try not to let the antlers touch the peroxide. Instead I take paper towel and soak in the perox and wrap it around the skull under the antler. Let it sit for 24 hr or so and it will be white, and I mean white.

Remember the process takes hrs. Don't rush it or it will turn out like hot garbage. I've done my last two bucks and a bobcat this way and it turned out great. I'll try and get some pics on here for you to see. If you need any advice just shoot me a message.

Last edited by deernutz; 05-22-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heres the euro mount I did on my MN 8pt this yr. Turned out really good. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails FOUND SOME NICE SHEDS! how do I darken em?-dsc01199.jpg