Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Antler Repair?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Spike

Default Antler Repair?

I shot a buck in 2008 (pic attached) and the antler on the right side has a broken G3. I am looking to try and repair the anterl myself and I am looking for recommendations on repair kits/supplies. I have a trail cam pic of the buck from a couple weeks prior and the point is approx. 5" in the pic. I have approx. 1" to work with on the current antler. What works best and are there any other supplies I will need besides what comes in the kit or is the kit not the way to go?
Attached Thumbnails Antler Repair?-p1080075.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually drill a hole in the center of the remaining antler, epoxy a piece of wire or all-thread in and sculpt over it with Apoxie Sculpt and blend it in as best as I can. I also make any lines or grooves in the tine while the Apoxie is still plyable. I think most kits come with Apoxie Sculpt and antler stain, possibly some steel wool but I'm not sure about anything else they come with. You may just need a piece of wire to complete your job.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have done many repairs over the years and here is the best and easiest I have found-

cut antler straight as possible just below break.

Find a piece of antler about the same length and width as the piece that broke off. (I save all my antlers from bucks that I don't mount)

Drill a hole in Antler and in piece to install the size of a 16 penney nail. (as close to center as possible)

Take a piece of a 16 penney nail and slide 1/2" inside each. check for fit.

epoxy together.

you can make any final matches (roughness/grooves) with hot glue.

No one will ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!