Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
boiling the head >

boiling the head

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

boiling the head

Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Link worked. Skull's looking pretty clean. Dunk 'er in some peroxide for a couple days and watch it shine.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boiling it weakens the bone quite a bit.
When I did my first one this year the nose peice came off to but it slipped right back into place. I never even glued it on.

This year shotgun my brother shot a decent 8 and he shot the buck like two feet away. He was along a fence line and the buck ran right to him on the other side. The buck was about ready to jump over the fence right onto my brother but then my brother quickly got up and shot the buck. Dropped the buck instantly because he shot it in the head, through the neck, and somewhere into the vitals. I caped out the skulls and there was a big whole in his nose and then the back of his head was blowl to peices. I thought it would be a cool euro mount with that hole in him so I boiled it out and the whole entire skull fell apart.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by diamondjustice
thanks for the advice when i did it i left it in the boiling water for 3 hours didnt clean off anything and then everything fall off and i think it came off with the nose because i never saw it so i will try it drifferent next time but that was my first time for anything like this and my first deer ever so ill let you no next time ill try to post pics of this one it dont look real bad but maybe that is because it is my first buck and i dont care he is not real big
3 hours is too long specially a young buck like that, I boil the water first then put the skull in for 15-30 minutes depending on the species then take out and remove all the meat if need be I put it back another 10 minutes and then if still has some meat I put it in a dermestic beetle box, until totally clean then proceed to bleach.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
3 hours is too long specially a young buck like that, I boil the water first then put the skull in for 15-30 minutes depending on the species then take out and remove all the meat if need be I put it back another 10 minutes and then if still has some meat I put it in a dermestic beetle box, until totally clean then proceed to bleach.

3 hours? jeeze that aint long at all. We had my first one in the pot since 10 am till a few hours after dark.

What do you guys have in there?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Diamond, Ill give you an idea of how Ive done my two. First, Ill say that I am no expert as well, but so far the one I have done this year has turned out pretty well. Im going to Peroxide it when I have a chance but that should be the easier of this.

I personally have done 2 bucks to date. The first one was a weird situation. It was the first buck that I ever took in Michigan so I wanted to try a Euro mounts. Had him caped out, head cut off and left on my back porch. Somehow, it disappeared off my deck. I searched the my yard, the neighbors yards, basically everywhere within a 100 yards. Nothing. In April my neighbor comes over and says he thinks my head is under his deck. Sure enough, there it was. Raccoons had decided to "Relocated" it but forgot to tell me! I boiled this head and knew it wasn't going to turn out perfect since it had spent 5 months under a deck. Boiled it, got all the flesh off and what is left is in the picture below.

The buck I did this year I'll tell you exactly how I did it and think it turned out great. First, and this may save you LOTS of time. Give your taxidermist a call, tell him you shot a buck but don't want him mounted, but want to know he wants the cape. Mine always does so I drop off the head and cape and he takes all the hide off and returns me just the skull. After this, get your propane heater out and get the water hot. Personally, I boil. Not a roaring boil but I want to see a bubble here and there. Drop the head in and I check it every half hour or so and just pull off all the meat and tissue until it 95% off.

Next, a lot of people cut a hole in the skull to take out the brain. I personally don't see why. Take a wire coat hanger, bent it with a pair of pliers to make a small hook and start pulling away. I had the brain out in 5 mins, its bsaically cooked so it comes out pretty easily in small pieces.

After that I get a pair of pliers and knife and start getting the small stuff. I pull out all of the cartilage in the nose and scrape off as much as I can everywhere else. When I feel like I am pretty much done, I head to a self serve car wash and Power wash the heck out of it. You have be careful not to blow the nose plate off so do the front from a distance but the back you can get right it. Put the nozzle in the brain hole and really blow that out. You should get all the remaining brain out and the majority of the stuff left in the nose cavity. After this you should have a very clean skull.

After that I put it in my basement. If I get no smell after a few days than It is clean enough for me. Now (and Im about to do this) Ive heard you want to put the skull in a bucket with some warm water and dawn dishwashing soap to try and pull out any remaining oils that might seep out at a later time.

After that, Ive heard you want to leave it in a 40 Volume (Not %) solution. You can get this off the interent or any beauty supply salon. I spent $9 for 4 liters. Soak it in this until you get it as white as you want. You can use the 3% stuff but I hear it takes longer and sometimes won't get the skull completely white. Make sure to wrap up the antlers so the peroxide does not get to them.

Do NOT use bleach. This is something I learned long ago in school and keep hearing it now that ive researched Euro Mounts. Bleach will eventually turn a skull yellow and will continue eating at the bone of a skull long after you take it out. This will make the skull brital after time.

Ive done a lot of research so Id thought Id share what I have learned and how I did it. Oh ya, the younger the deer the tougher it will be to get a perfect Euro Mount. Older deer have stronger bones. If you look at the deer I have below, the darker one on the right is a 1 1/2 year old buck. The buck on the right is a 2 1/2 yr old deer. The younger one is a Michigan deer the older one an Illinois, fyi. I plan n basically doing a true european type mount to the young one and basically make a 45 degree cut through the skull.

Again, I am no expert but did a lot of research and this was the most typical way it was done. Hope this helps!

Side by side look. Both were pretty much boiled, but not
a rolling boil.

Close look at the 1 1/2. Being a younger deer and sitting outside
all winter I know it wasn't going to turn out great but after some
dawn and peroxide it should look good.

No peroxide yet but after pulling off everything while
giving it a light boil then to the powerwasher.

In case you wanted to see, here's the trail cam pic of my buck 8 days before he met his maker aka my 100 grain Thunderheads!