Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bad cape

Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Spike

Default Bad cape

I recently killed a nice 8 point and when i took the cape to get mounted we found that the cape was a mess large cuts from fighting but what was really bad was the the bare spots from ticks!! He said he has seen this before . Suggested i use a another cape from another buck! Because these spots will show . Has anyone done this ?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Spike

I am no expert but I think it is quite common, maybe one of the Taxidermists will answer, Den
Old 12-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Spike

Its a VERY common practice... ive had to get replacement capes for more than a few customers this year. dont be afraid to get another local taxidermist opinion on your cape.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Unless the mount would look very bad, that is the deer you shot. It adds character to the mount. But I have customers that want a perfect looking cape, so they pay extra for a new cape. Different strokes for different folks. My though is the customer is always right, sometimes.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Spike

Default bad cape reply

rgswilldlife: Your comment makes me think that I may have got caught up in having the perfect mount when the deer wasnt! Maybe I should have mounted the cape as it was ;because it is the deer I shot! The cape was pretty bad and noticable, the scars on the neck not bad but the bare spots from ticks were numerous! It reminded me of a dog allergic to fleas he had a lot of bare spots on neck and around ears! I have killed alot of deer first time I have seen this! Thanks for the perspective makes me think ... no one put it that way to me " that is the deer you killed"
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's your choice. A cape with a lot of bare spots will not look good. Split ears and scars give your mount flare but bald spots will make it look ratty in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my first that I had mounted was a 14 pt.Nose was split had a couple of holes in his ear.I felt like it added to the character of the deer.Mounted as is. Got a 10 pt.That I left in the freezer for a couple of years before I decided( untill my buds kept saying " you should really mount that deer"...LOL)I guess the cape was freezer burned rather badly,So my taxidermist put another cape on him.Mount looks great but not the deer I shot.Lesson learned mount as soon as you can or at least make up your mind if are going to.JMHO
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Big difference between scars and bald spots. Bald spots do not look good on the wall. However, none of us have actually seen them, so we're all guessing.