Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can! >

Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can!

I did not write all of this but I though it important enough to change some and add some. There seems to be a lot of interest in Taxidermy lately. So if your thinking about going into it read this.

Part #1

We noticed another post about this topic and wanted to give everybody some reassurance that YES you can make a living by doing taxidermy work. And this is without any other outside help or retirement check coming in to help you pay the bills. But it will not be an easy thing to do. Especially when homes are selling for way over $200 thousand, Cars and trucks for over $20 thousand and gasoline selling for over $3 per gallon... And the list goes on and on. Taxidermy supplies and using an outside tannery will also amaze you as to the cost of doing business. In other words, you better do your homework first. Don't jump in and expect to swim very long before the sharks come. Have a plan! Learn to walk before you try to run! There will be people that can help you in many ways. The first way and most important, is that YOU learn to help yourself. Don't be Dependant on other people...within reason of course.
Remember it takes time! You must BUILD your business! Be cautious but remember that "nothing ventured, nothing gained.)
How many people go through life at a job they do not like? Most people work and are miserable at their jobs. You MUST like, enjoy and be willing to learn and work at taxidermy. Don't expect other people to come to your rescue or give you a quick fix. You can be independent and you must be willing to take the initiative to travel the road to success and not give up. It is hard. ANYTHING worthy is difficult.
Learn Taxidermy, learn how to run a business, learn the laws pertaining to taxidermy, set your goals to reasonable limits and then move them up each year as you are ready, have a back up plan and financial support. Classic textbook example: ANY business on startup, should have enough working capital to run for FIVE years BEFORE the books begin to see a substantial profit. Do you have this type of investment? No? Well that is why you don't quit your day job. PLAN—PLAN and PLAN. KNOW what you can and cannot do. If you don't, you WILL fail.
As you already know, many of us, including myself, spend far too much time on the Internet and all of us should be cautious about how we spend our time (me too!). TIME IS MONEY. Granted most of us frequent posters and others have separate incomes and have been there and done that in the world today. It is expensive in today's economy to live and do the family/home/car thing. We need lots of income to fulfill our dream by the outlandish prices people have attached to what we need, or what we THINK we need to survive today. We don't need a new car or other toys. I will be the first to admit that I got a lot of toys-- so to speak. But I worked for them and paid for them with TAXIDERMY money and NOT my retirement check. You can do it too!
I have made a lot of money in taxidermy over the past forty years or so. I have spent a lot of money too. Paid bills, paid employees, paid taxes, paid taxes and paid the damn taxes again and again in many, many ways! I better not get started on that one. Anyway, YOU TOO CAN MAKE MONEY IN TAXIDERMY. You may need help by holding two jobs, having your spouse work and help supplement your income for a while or even many years, but you can do it. NEVER forget, a lot of what taxidermists and other outdoors people do depend on a good economy. How REALLY good is ours in the United States today? Do your homework and don't believe what you hear on the evening news report.

Never start off in any venture thinking your going to pull in a cool sixty grand the first year. IF that is what you expect, you DON'T have a clue to what is going on and how to run a real business. Go back to school and learn some more about life, business, politics and how the whole capitalist system is supposed to work. To be purely independent will require some serious sacrifices. As you grow, you will learn the importance of what I have just stated. Nothing is free. Not even death and especially not taxes.
You must devote yourself to taxidermy. You must become educated in how to run a business and if you don't you will fail. You must market your services to the right people. Never forget that people in general, don't NEED taxidermy mounts. Taxidermy mounts are a luxury item. If it came to paying the mortgage, putting food on the table or paying the taxidermist, guess which one will loose?
Your prices must reflect what the customer is willing to pay. If your customer/client demands certain SPECIAL ATTENTION, don't be afraid to charge for it. You must focus on your business in a business manner. Forget about trying to impress the world and other taxidermists about how GOD-LIKE your work is. Quality work WILL make you money and much of your success will come from how you market your services and not by how many ribbons you display. Much of the ribbon thing is vanity and ego anyway. Sure, there are degrees of quality but, if your customer is happy and the quality is there, why make waves?...BE HAPPY you have made money. Remember you must go after your clients and sell yourself and your work. Once you have established yourself and have a client base (remember this takes years), you will prosper.
Example only: Would you rather have one thousand customers per year at $400 per deer head or one hundred customers per year at $695 per deer head? What are you setup to do in your business? How much work can you take in and return within your quoted return time? IF your customer is willing to pay $400 per deer head and wait one year or more for completion, great! The customer is happy and so should you. IF, on the other hand, you have customers that are willing to pay $695 and up for a deer head and only want to wait 90 days for the return of their trophy, well you have to make some decisions. Why not do both? Can you specialize? QUALITY and FAST PRODUCTION is the key. ASK hunters and other people what they want from a taxidermist. You might just be amazed at what the customers/clients really want.
Training the client or customer to wait, until you're ready to get the job done has its advantages and disadvantages. You can make MORE money by production. Of course, quality work is always number one. Just how good and life-like can a mount be BEFORE you are no longer working for your customer and are now trying to prove something to yourself? Quality is quality and if the customer is happy, you should also be happy.
Hang your ribbons all you want. The bottom line is you have to build your business over a period of time. Nothing happens overnight...well at least nothing good ever seems to happen. If you ever get hungry and the wife and children need something and you have no money and only have a nice display of ribbons, awards and prizes, gather the ribbons, awards and other feel-good boosters and see how much the local pawnshop will give you for them. Are you starting to understand the difference between what is important and what is fleeting vanity? Nothing wrong with getting a ribbon or award for quality work! EVERYTHING HAS A PURPOSE. Just keep things in perspective. Your family, your welfare, or a blue ribbon? Enough said on that.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can! #2

Taxes and your benefit package:
First off, we as Americans have become very spoiled by all of the material things we have available to us, and by all of the free benefits that we have come to expect as a given. I am guilty of this myself. Many times we take for granted that we should be making XX amount of money per hour and have a truck-load of benefits such as health, dental, life insurance, retirement -401K... etc. to boot. The facts are that the so-called benefit package so many Americans have become addicted to (and suckle from so freely) and feel that such ("extras) should be universal and included for free is a vast misconception. The benefits package has got way, way out of hand. Everything you get, must be paid for by somebody. Perhaps you are getting lower wages or a lower salary because of such a setup? Again, nothing is free. The insurance companies are being paid by someone! You would be surprised of how many programs are being supplemented by the American taxpayer and if they were not, many MAJOR companies and the health system would be bankrupt. Their only needs to be a brief interruption of cash flow to cause a crash. Oh yes. I have done my homework. I can't explain everything in detail on this forum but you are welcome and encouraged to sign up for business and economic classes and do your own homework. You will be amazed at how the public has been sucked into a terrible system of complacency. There will be market corrections and an economic shift before to long. Just make sure you fully understand the word SURVIVAL.
The main reason people even have any benefit package in this time and age of corruption is because the Federal Government started supplementing programs to keep the American taxpayer's mind off of the financial troubles and looting of the social security system. People must also realize that the social security system was ONLY meant to SUPPLEMENT what the working individual invested in over his/her working career for a future retirement. Social security was NEVER meant to be your sole retirement fund. It’s funny though, most Americans never understood that. Most people only saw some green backs promised to them from old Uncle Sam. Big business is in bed with the politicians and you should never forget that!
But we don't have enough time to venture further into this realm...

I wish all of you good fortune and a prosperous adventure in life.
Making a Living in Taxidermy Part Two

We learned a lot of information about the general business end of taxidermy from the school of hard knocks (personal experience) and from the works of notable men such as Onno van Veen (now deceased), Archie Phillips, John Rinehart and several other professionals both in the United States and several from Europe. All of these men have done great things for the taxidermy industry and are an example of success. The truth is, in my opinion, the best of almost everything is located right here in the United States. No need to search elsewhere. Unless that is what you desire. Adventure can be anywhere!
Each profitable taxidermy business gives a certain measure of satisfaction and delight to their respective owners. You can do it too! But, as I and many others have said over and over again: It will not be easy! You get to be your own boss and the success or failure lies squarely on your shoulders. Big responsibility isn't it? You can't blame somebody else if you fail. If you don't want hard work, forget it. Take a desk job some place and never go for your dreams of independence.
You have to learn and be willing to do everything from skinning, fleshing, cape /hide prep, tanning, form measuring, alteration, sculpting if needed, mounting, finish work, dealing with customers and clients (yes, there is a difference between the two terms used), running a business, advertising, budgeting, investing, employees (if needed) and on and on. If you can't or will not, you will fail. How can you get ahead in life without sticking your neck out once in a while and taking a chance? It is a little scary, but this is America! No better place than here to give it a try and your best shot.
The rest of my "sheepskin" in general business management comes from college, the military and various academies and associations. And guess what? It all flows together! The basic mathematics is the same. You learn how to set prices, inventory, investment, taxes, record keeping, etc. You learn how to answer many questions that are routinely asked on this forum. All of which are business questions that you as a business owner and operator, should already have a grasp on how to answer or figure it out. When it comes to business, a person must understand the fundamental basics and be able to adapt to changing situations, if you don't you will perish. I'm talking about more than just a hobby. It is more than just a money in and money out proposition. A real business dealing with a real future...your future. You can do it! Don't be afraid to learn and then earn!
!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can! #3

A very simplified beginning and course of action (change as needed):
1. Get a good taxidermy education. (Lots of options here) Many top quality taxidermists in various fields found right here on this forum, are more than willing to train and educate you for reasonable amounts of money. Forget the big schools asking over twenty thousand or more. You get better training working with the individual craftsman that works at taxidermy for a living and only teaches to supplement his/her income. There is a difference!
2. Develop, practice and refine your acquired skill and expertise for at least two years before you try to open a shop. Do some side jobs as you grow and gain experience. You need more training!
3. Develop good work ethics and habitats. Become organized.
4. During number two above, go to college or another specialty school and learn how to operate a business and how to think like a business entrepreneur. Remember those basic business classes I am always talking about? Success or failure is your option. Why not choose success?
5. Using your new knowledge of business, create a business plan and proposal, and acquire financial support or investment for your taxidermy business.
6. Follow your business plan and make adjustments as needed.
7. Get a website! Word of mouth is great but in reality, in the year 2006, you have to advertise. If someone tells you it is not needed, that person is not a true business individual and does not grasp the possibilities. Business cards (keep it simple), specific advertising and then the awesome website. With a website, you advertise all over the world. Guess what? Many big-name clients (and these are clients and not customers) routinely use a computer to choose their options. Why can't one of those options be your shop and your business? When you get your first really big contract, you will know exactly what I mean and your education will explode.

You can learn quality African, Exotic and North American taxidermy techniques and have great instruction from top artists at a reasonable cost. Again, look at the people that advertise on http://www.taxidermy.net . Take a few courses at a time. You don't have to jump in and take everything at once. Build up and get ready for your adventure. A complete education will vary in cost but you can only find out if you try. Have you? Saving up money? Checking out a possible loan? Equity in your house or a land sale? Sale a car? If you try and are serious, you WILL find a way.

As a relevant side note: The business of America IS business. Just look at the freedom and possibilities all of us have and exercise everyday. Needless to say, the United States is the greatest place on earth. And that is precisely why we must be ever vigilant in watching and holding those that are in positions of authority, power and leadership accountable for their actions or inactions that affect every person on our soil including every small business entity or venture. If you doubt what I have just said, go out and price all of those benefit packages we talked about in my other post. How about an average $1,800 more per month that you might have to endure if you had to pay on your own and desired such coverage. A business, such as a taxidermy business, is eligible for substantial discounts just like the large corporations get. Did you know that? I'm talking like 70% or more. Sounds good to me. Start checking for BUSINESS discounts.
Another example taking its toll on a business owner: Wonder why shipping is so expensive? Have you noticed escalating fuel prices? It is mostly politics and bad decisions used to control a population. There is a reason for everything!
It is not always possible but it is highly recommended that you should not only invest in a sound taxidermy education but also invest in at least the following business classes: BUS 101, 102, and 103 and then include business economics and world economy. There are variations on the class names and what is being taught. Yes I know; that is why you hire an accountant right? Well, yes and no. You can only be spread so thin and then you start to make mistakes, fail to report income, spend too much, have no direction, fail to plan and then you and your business just simply fail.
Having a degree in business does not guarantee anything and you don't need a degree just in business. There are many factors that come into play. You can succeed!
Something as simple as the customer/client getting his wife's permission to spend the money with you for taxidermy could be all it takes. But this little point was never taught in college! You see, we are in a specialized trade. Each business, trade, profession has its own special circumstances and mix of doing things. So, how can you convince your customer's wife to say yes? Got any ideas? She is standing with her husband in front of you. He gives her that look of can I? What can you say to close the deal and get the job? What works for you? I often make them laugh and sign them up within 20 seconds or less. No more secrets given out on that one. You have to get in the game to play
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can! #4

As with any business venture, you need PMA. PMA simply means a POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE. You have to start off each day with an organized list of work that needs to be done and the desire to GET IT COMPLETED. Prepare things the day before and keep a flow going in your shop. Learn to concentrate on your work and have a list of what should be done each day. Question yourself, can you do more? You have to discipline yourself to separate what IS important and what can wait until another day. However, can you accomplish more in the daylight hours? In my case, I work in the daytime and the nighttime. Either way it goes, I like to get in around twelve hours a day when ever possible to do so. Most of the time a lot more hours during the big game season. Rush work and special projects are guaranteed time frames for completion.
We try to take Sunday off regardless of the workload...but we do have exceptions! Please Note: Weekends (mainly Sunday) and Mondays through Wednesdays during the big game season are big money days! We have had as many as 70 customers per day! It usually gets to the point that we forget about appointments and simply tell people to come on down—what time will you be here? I must say that if a customer sets an appointment to bring in X amount of work on Sunday, we have to be willing to accept this interruption of rest and relaxation to continue the cash flow. Are you willing to do this? We have made many thousands of dollars EXTRA because we were willing to say sure, what time would you like to schedule your appointment for? If we can't answer the telephone, our machine will answer it for us. If we can, we will return the phone call that day and try to make arrangements. And at times we loose business because we don't answer the telephone in person. People don't like to talk to a machine. ...I always thought that was a personal problem but I won't venture there. LOL Make no mistake, an answering service and/or an answering machine setup properly with the right message will make you money and can save your business. It is a fact!
You will notice that many taxidermy businesses are not open on the weekends. Many people seem to foster the belief that you NEVER work on the weekends. We usually are working to one degree or another. If we decide to travel any weekend and camp, fish, hunt, etc. we just do it and let the machines handle the inquiries. But of course, by virtue of our business system, we are by appointment only. So if a customer/client sets up a time, we got to be here at the shop. This system weeds out the lookie-loos, time wasters and the not-so-serious crowd. This system works for us!
Never forget, you must sell yourself to a new customer. If they are just price searching and most are, how can you hook this person and bring them in? What makes you any different from the other taxidermy shops in town? What can you or should I say what will you do to gain fresh business? Do you have any incentives? Price break on multiple mounts? Quicker return time? Payment plans or options? People want a choice and must feel that they are getting a good return on their money. Let's say quality work is a given and that is the norm between several taxidermists... The average customer is looking for something special so they can feel the same way (special). Again, I ask you, what do you offer the average customer to make them do business with you? WHY should any person bring you their trophy? Is it friendly service, the price, the extra details, the quicker return time, just what is it? We can argue quality all day but IF several taxidermists in your area are more or less producing about the same quality, how can you convenience the person across town or even fifty miles away to travel to your shop and employ your services? Do these other people even know about you? Advertising and a website will pay for itself on the first two jobs you get in! But you learn this in business class...or someone will tell you like I just did. You see, you need more than a quick fix and a simple answer as to what should you do.
Many times the new customer does not want to spend money for quality work. If that is the case, just say goodbye to them and let it go. You don't need them or want them. The serious, educated and resourceful hunter will not even ask how much. They simply set a time that is convenient for them to show up at your business and then cut you a check, or pay in cash for what they desire and it is a done deal. Everyone is happy.
You see, a cash flow is very important to any business. Doesn't make a difference as to what size of a business we are talking about. Part time or full time a no cash flow equals no business. That means you will have no money. Starting to get the idea? If you don't want to deal with any customers and don't need the cash flow, just tell the potential customer you're closed and not available until tomorrow or just let the answering machine pickup the call. Do you want to give up $500 or a whole lot more when all you have to do is take in the specimen, fill out the paperwork, receive a deposit or the whole thing up front, hand the customer a copy of your work order and then your done? You tag the specimen and skin it right away or place it in the freezer, cooler or whatever until tomorrow. Depending on the situation and details, from twenty minutes to a few hours have elapsed. Not bad for an extra $500 is it? You can now continue with your day off. This trifle amount of inconvenience is not a bad trade for a little bit of CASH flow. Granted, if you are not able to do this, you very well may loose this income and business. It is your choice. Just don't turn away money because you have become inflexible and unwilling to go the extra distance to prove some point or other personal requirement on your day off.
Private time and family time are important and should be a priority, but don't be foolish and loose business because you want to sit at home and watch a movie with the family. There is plenty of time for that. Now obviously, family comes first! You simply evaluate each request that happens to fall in and on you're off duty time. -starting to sound like the military but you understand what I am getting at.
Have you noticed that we have tried to stay away from a quick fix? And instead of giving the exact answers we just gave a little here and there and tried to guide you. We want to encourage you to step forward and decide if taxidermy is for you or it is not for you. There really is so much that can be done. ARE YOU READY for your adventure?
The best thing you can do is take action now for your future tomorrow. If you possess the initiative, drive and desire to do it and find the answers yourself; then you are ready to take that leap of faith using the simple guidelines provided. Your future and your eventual success will be yours and nobody can take it away from you.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Making a living in Taxidermy? YES you can! #5

Part Three
1. You must have training in business and economics. It is a fact!
2. Obviously, you must have training in taxidermy. North American, African, Exotics, etc.
3. You must develop your talents and skill levels in these fields. At least two years of practice.
4. You must develop good work ethics AND business management abilities.
5. You must create a business plan from your business training and experience.
6. You must secure financial backing by using your business plan and expertise: either from investors,
a loan (credit), equity in your home, land or from selling something such as a car, boat, land, home, etc. You need cash or as it is otherwise known liquid A$$ets.
7. You must take a good, long look at your life and relationships with family, people etc. Are you willing to make changes that might affect them? If not, forget it! You are not ready. Are you ready to be poor or possibly loose most of what you have acquired over the years?
8. You must absolutely be ready (mentality, financially, socially), able and willing to make a long and serious commitment to reach your goal of independence and freedom by owning your own business and being the boss. If you are married, can your marriage and other responsibilities survive radical change and perhaps, years of being poor? Be honest. Discuss everything in these three posts with your spouse and judge her or his reaction. Are you both ready for something that may eventually fail? Such a thing is the way of life and the things we do from waking up in the morning to going to work are not guaranteed. There are too many variables.

You see, FREEDOM does have a price! You must be willing to endure hardships, set backs and most definitely some pain and suffering along the way. Think I am kidding or exaggerating? There are several -SAGE—qualified people that are taxidermists, and these people can spin some truthful yarns about topics you would rather not hear and every narrative will cause you to rethink your priorities. Look up the word SAGE in the dictionary. These are the people you should bend an ear to and just listen and learn from. Trust me, I know!
If you are one of those "give it to me now" types or "I don't want to wait, learn or work for it", ---then you should forget taxidermy and go get a safe job at Wal-Mart and be happy working for a big corporation at minimum wage.
Perhaps you have a much better job and have accumulated nice things and a tidy bank account? Well then, go back and read parts one and two and pull them together with this third part. Print parts one, two and this third part out. Compare them and tell me a reoccurring theme and issues that have been stressed to get the points across (you have to THINK to learn). Do you see something? Is a format and plan starting to visualize? What do you see? Notice the words used and how they are used? Too many people today cannot and will not make the sacrifice (which takes YEARS) to taste the sweetness of true freedom and independence from the factories, from corporate structure from the average life most of the people share. You can do something else and be a success. If you have come this far and understand taxidermy and truly desire the adventure, you will change your life for the better.
Please Note: There has been an estimated forty to ninety-thousand taxidermists in the United States. Obviously, most of these numbers must be from part time and hobby taxidermists or people that have lied to puff up the numbers or just the wannabes saying they are a taxidermist. Most of this vast number are NOT full time, gung-ho go-getters. IF forty or more thousand taxidermists were full time shops, there would NOT be enough business to go around and sustain all of them as independent full time businesses and pay all of the bills. You would see a crash of businesses and many more people going bankrupt within six months to one year. The thing is most statistics and polling numbers if you will, are pure horse manure. These numbers are manipulated just like everything else is. Take a course in stats and check out the facts first. Oh how the American public has been toyed with by the numbers people and the spin-doctors!
When to go from the part time taxidermist to the full time taxidermist and when to expand? HERE IT IS!
AFTER you have mastered and fully understand everything previously written in parts One, Two and what is written in this current piece, you are ready to follow the list below: Working with round, easy numbers and there are no details provided as again, each specific person will come up with their own numbers. Keep in mind that there are many variables and specific situations which would require an adjustment in numbers to suit your specific needs. Sorry, but that is a business fact!
1. If you take in fifty thousand dollars of work each year (NET) and you have to turn away three times as much work (150,000) due to your inability to handle such a workload, then you are ready to switch to a full time taxidermist and expand your shop and invest in your new and profitable career.
2. If you have made a consistent ninety thousand dollar per year GROSS from only taxidermy related work for five consecutive years, and your NET salary to yourself is $45,000 for each year, then you are ready to go fulltime. Yes you do pay yourself a salary! Remember business classes?
3. If you have the financial backing to sustain your business for five years and for the previous five years your business (which started out at only thirty thousand per year gross) has had a steady increase of twenty percent or more, by all means take the cash as talked about earlier and go full time. Remember the business plan and training you have gone through?

I could go on and on but as you can see, there are very real possibilities for success! There are very real possibilities for failure. If you change anything I have talked about and fail to do it, you will fail. But then, I have seen people that are fully committed to succeed (or should of been committed—LOL) and they take the ups and downs of life, business, planning and turn it into a dream come true!
There you have it! Anything else bring cash money only! LOL

A brief outline of success or failure. Do you have what it takes to accomplish your mission in life? Only time will tell!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

You got it down pat Rich. Now back to work! LOL
Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

This is a long read, but if anybody is thinking about doing taxidermy they should read all of this.