Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
trying to tan a deer hide need info >

trying to tan a deer hide need info

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

trying to tan a deer hide need info

Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default trying to tan a deer hide need info

my girlfriend shot a fallow deer doe and ive bought a lutan f tanning kit from cabelas, it comes with pretty good directions and i have followwed them to a t so far seems to be working im salting it one last time now as the last batch of salt had only minimal moisture to it. next on the list is pickleing, heres my question before putting the hide in the pickle do i rinse it off to remove all remaining salt or just put it in also can i wash it again befor pickle i misssed some blood when cleaning before skinning, or will that come out while in pickle when do i wash it if not now
Old 10-31-2009, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

You can put the hide right in the pickle solution, with out any rinsing. When you take it out of the solution and neutralize it you can then use soap and water to clean up any blood you might have left on the hide.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

im glad im experimenting with this hide followed directions as best i could its been hanging in garage for like a week now and still doesnt seem to be drying much, little in the legs and such but the maun portion sill seems wet did i do something wrong wondering if i diddnt shave it down good enough