Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Antler/Skull curing >

Antler/Skull curing

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Antler/Skull curing

Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Spike

Default Antler/Skull curing

Hey guys, I shot a nice 5 point yesterday and want to mount the antlers on a plague. We cut them off the skull. How do you cure the piece of the skull that connects to the antlers? Just let it sit outside for a while?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you actually cut the antlers off the skull or did you remove a piece of the skull that has both antlers attached to it?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Spike

Cut the piece of skull so it has both the antlers attached.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, let it dry out for about 4 weeks atleast. Make sure you removed all the flesh and let it dry. If you are patient it won't smell.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup just clean all the meat and everythgin off and then salt it down. Then brush the salt off and you can sand it a lil or dremel it too if you still ahev some dry meat or somethign on it. I wouldn't leave it outside though and don't leave it in the sun. Just somewhere fairly dry and it will be fine. WCL
Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pull, scrape, cut all the meat off that i can.
Lower the skull cap into boiling water. Boil for about 20 minutes.
Pull, scrape, cut any meat that is left. Repeat process until there is no meat at all. Let it dry real good. Use a Dremel tool to shape the skull cap

I make sure i get 100% of the meat off dring this process. I hang them within 2 days. I have 5 that i have done this way and never had one smell

Last edited by DannyD; 10-02-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I took as much of the skin and meat that I could so far. I have not boiled it yet. Can it sit outside for a few days before I boil it because I do not want to boil it in the house so I need to borrow a grill to do it outside. Wil the dried meat come off after boiling or will it ruin it. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'ven never waited to boil it so i can't comment on that. I certainly understand about boiling it in the house. my wife is not crazy about it but i open the windows and she burns candles
Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice guys. I have boiled it twice and have got all the meat off. I am storing it in a cabinet on my porch for now. Do I have to put anything else onto it and can it just sit for a while? Will the skull become brittle and crack after a while? And lastly do you guys have any recommendations for mounting it? I kinda want to just mount it to a plaque with the skull cap exposed and not covered with fabric. Anyone have any experience with a mount like this? Thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

kind of a redneck idea but i super glued a picture hanger on the back of the cap and hung it on a nail.... works for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.