Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Stinky Fox ?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Spike

Default Stinky Fox ?

Hey all

Got A Question
I just got back a Grey fox that I was lucky enough to hunt this december.
I noticed that there is a strong odor coming from the mount. I usually wouldnt bicker about something stupid about this but at first , I thought it was just the MRS. complaining about another dead animal in the house but i must admit, it is really really potent. I know it is natural for it to smell a little bit being its a natural hide and all and there is a bunch of chemicals used in it including arsenick, but this thing stinkssssss..

Its a mix of both a "Death" smell and a bit of the chemicals used.Maybe even glue... and the stuff to make the dirt " Frozen "

My Question is this. Is there anything I can do to make the stench dissappear or am i stuck with it ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks all.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stinky Fox ?

if the hide was tanned properly you shouldn't smell anything.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooter is right. If it were sent to a commercial tannery, it shouldn't smell.Fox, Coyote, Mink and the like all have a strong odor, and should be tanned properly to remove it.But since that is obviously not the case,try going to a pet store or your pet's vet and buy some " Skunk Odor Remover". I'm not sure if that's the exact name brand, but Pet Smart or any big chain should have it. Spray it down with this and see if it helps.It definitely wont hurt!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arsenick huh?? I SURE HOPE NOT. Anyways no there should not be any smell to it. My guess is your fox is rotting but maybe not. Probably wasn't tanned and was DP'd (unproperly). You can try some scent killer if its just the odor of a k9 (all k9s stink untill they are properly tanned or washed when DP'd) but if that doesn't work after awhile and it keeps smelling/rotting if that be the case. I'd take that thing back to the taxi right away if it continues to get worse. Good luck hope its alright. WCL