Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Can You live off a Taxidermist salary??? >

Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can You live off a Taxidermist salary???

I know that either one can't be achieved over night, so ill go ahead and do both.
That is a great attitude. You won't regret any kind of schooling you decide. Good Luck & let us know if we can be any help.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zubba

I know that either one can't be achieved over night, so ill go ahead and do both.
That is a great attitude. You won't regret any kind of schooling you decide. Good Luck & let us know if we can be any help.
x2 Good luck with everything. WCL
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a matter of fact, if/when you start tinkering with taxidermy, I have an extra tanned cape I will gift you if your interested....just pay shipping. I'm not sure of the size, but it would make a great practice cape. Just let me know.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

like the others said, its possible...but isnt likely going to happen quickly.

my personal taxidermist still works a full time job. ive been going to him for 4 or 5 years...hes still trying to build a client base stable enough to quit the full time day job. his work is better than most everyone around...prices are competitive. most guys charge the same and do noticeably lower grade work.

my buddies dad also does taxi after work...dont know if he plans to quit his full time job or not...his work is so-so. alright to the average eye...not great if you know what your looking at...

my taxidermists biggest problem is the fact that there are other taxi shops on every block...theres honestly atleast 30 within about a half hour of his shop...his time and detail plus better materials kill him. he wont put out lower grade work. he spends time and does the detail and uses the best materials he can and doesnt skimp. his prices are there for slightly higher than most shops...

another big problem he has is people in the area are plain out cheap lol. they actually call shop to shop getting price quotes. dont care about looking at his work or other shops work...but just care about the cheapest price. my taxi was/is an artist and started out doing the feather paintings...his work shows his attention to detail and ability to paint...his fish are amazing...his habitat and such are amazing...modifying forms gets him excited and he loves it...thats where his stable client base comes from for the most part..guys that understand detail and quailty and guys that like special mounts...but the average guy that shoots a nice buck he wants a regular ole mount of to hang on the wall that only cares about price wont give him a chance..

just some things to think about...sorry to hear about the accident...been there...dad got laid out on his bike a while back and was laid up for a good while...good luck!