Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Should I Keep Him? >

Should I Keep Him?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Should I Keep Him?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Spike

Default Should I Keep Him?

Got mine back! What do you tihnk?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I Keep Him?

Cool I love thosebrowtines
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 AM

That’s a very unique rack. I have never seen brow tines like that before. Congratulations on an awesome buck
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, but very poor taxidermy job.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Spike

How come do think it was poor taxidermy work? If it is the ear positions he let me turn them where I wanted them. I like them there, it seems like it shows off rack better than other mounts I have. But the ear positioning is not really the taxidermistsdoing.

The picture does not do it justice either. I love the little details like the spit in his wiskers!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Great buck. The first thing that seemed a little bit off to me was the eyes. Other than that it looks ok
Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BucknCluck

How come do think it was poor taxidermy work? If it is the ear positions he let me turn them where I wanted them. I like them there, it seems like it shows off rack better than other mounts I have. But the ear positioning is not really the taxidermistsdoing.

The picture does not do it justice either. I love the little details like the spit in his wiskers!

The eyes are set at two different levels on the head, and the ears seem to be bent and not natural. That's all I can tell from that photo.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great rack!

With that said I agree with excalibur. The eyes are set in different positions, the hide seems to be stretched to the right (facing the picture) instead of centered on the nose, the mouth looks a bit off, theres something awkward about the jawline and the ears are not in a natural position. Was his nose finished? His nostrils really stick out. Honestly -- he looks dead. Of course we'd need better pictures and close-ups to really judge, this is just my first impression. Sorry if I have offended your taxidermist. I'm a very very picky person.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM

I'd keep it just for the unique rack.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Spike

Oh, I'm keeping him alright. I don't think my taxidermist would be offended at all. He hasn't been doing it for too long and he'd be the first one to tell you that he is still learning. I think it might be the picture some too because I looked at all the things you pointed out and I just don't see it. As for the nostrils, in the picture of the deer after I shot it, it has larger than normal nostrils. I remember talking about that to people that were looking at the deer too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.