Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Tannerys

Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tannerys

Anybody know any good tannerys for bear,coyote,coon etc.Not for taxidermy use.Just want it tanned,and hopefully they provide fleshing after I skin and freeze.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tannerys

Your going to have to contact a taxidermist. Tanneries provide a tanningservice to taxidermists who ship their hides all fleshed. The taxidermists are given their own ID tags to affix to their hides, so they don't get mixed up with others hides. There are also self tanning products you can purchase from taxidermy supply companies, but you 'd have to do your own fleshing.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

buckalley, you do not have to be a taxidermist to ship to a tannery. maybe some are like that...but i sent hides straight to a tannery to be tanned...all i did was flesh the best i could and salt and dry them a couple days before i shipped them....they shipped them back tanned.

google "hide tannery" or something along those lines...or see if anyone has any recommendations...i wont recommend the one i used last year....lost check, beat around the bush for a couple months...i dont know if it was just a mix up or what...but i wont recommend them to anyone else till i know...tanning job was beautiful...but the check mixup was scary(they did take care of it) and waiting around and being told this that and the other thing isnt fun....theres alot of tannerys out there...to ship them they usually gotta be fleshed the best you can and salted a couple days with a good pure salt(i used pickling salt from the grocery store and it worked nicely...get most the flesh and fat off you can and turn the pelt inside out(skin out) and salt it pretty heavy all over...i like to set it on something on a slight angle so the liquid goo can drain off...do it somewhere you can wash off or dont care if it gets nasty....coon hides and such that are greasy will have a bunch of goo seep off...every day scrape the old salt off and resalt...2-3-4 days or so till the hide is dry and the salt isnt desolving or wet and nothing is draining off the skin...

some of the taxis here aughta have recomendations...

if you take it to a taxi your going to pay a fair bit more....they gotta make some money too...

shipping is a little costly and if you dont "prep" the skins right, they may charge you a little bit more to do that work...but to ship it you really should flesh them the best you can and salt them..if they are salted and dried properly you dont gotta worry about them spoiling or hair slipping(i used the back of a big kitchen knife as my fleshing knife and a 2x4 as my fleshing beam lol...but it worked)

i got a deer hide, 2 coon pelts and a fox hide tanned for the price of what a taxi "that was giving me a break on price because im friends with his son" wanted to charge for 2 deer hides...thats shipping to and from the tannery and everything...
Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

All depends on the tannery. "Most" won't take them unless you are a licensed taxidermist. A big reason for it is to keep taxidermists in buisiness because tannerys need taxidermists not regular people lookin to get a hide tanned cheaper. The money isnt made for a tannery by pelt tans, its their number one intake,deerheads and lifesize capes,that are the money makers because of the volume.Another reason is if (green) hides are out of season it is illlegal to posses them anyways unless you are a licensed taxi or the animal has a registered carcass tag on it. I'm sure there is other reasons but those are the two big ones that jump out at me as a taxidermist.WCL
Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Anybody know any good tannerys for bear,coyote,coon etc.Not for taxidermy use.Just want it tanned,and hopefully they provide fleshing after I skin and freeze.
Might as well takethem to a taxi then cuz if you don't know how toflesh and turn them properly you will pay for it more at a tannery than you will at a taxidermist. That is what a taxi makes on them, the wages per time they are spending to flesh and turn, also salt if the tannery requires it. Alot of tannerys won't take unfleshed/turned capes either. WCL