Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 attempting a skull mount >

attempting a skull mount

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

attempting a skull mount

Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default attempting a skull mount

well tomorrow i will be attempting my 1st skull mount. i have spent a few days browsing the web and watching countless youtube videos, so i think i got it in the bag.

if anyone has any trade secrets they would like to share please do.

wish me luck
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: attempting a skull mount

I cleanthe skullas good as possible, boil it for 15-20 minutes, pic off all the loose stuf I can, boil for another 15-20 minutes, then drive directly to the nearest carwash and blast it with hot soapy water everywhere including in the sinus cavities. It will get nearly every last piece of meat and facia off except parts of the sinus contents which you have to pick out with forceps at home. Works like a charm. No bleaching necessary.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

cool. so i have peeled the face off, now how do i get the brain out??
Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Through the hole in the back. Stick a screwdriver in there and tear it up a bit and it'll come out like jelly.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

ok thanks. there is the end of the spin still attached. this is why i am scratching my head wondering why i cant see the brain LOL.

thanks for your help, if i get stuck il be sure to post some other silly questions haha.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

so far

Old 11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Spike

jay im doing 1 myself. i can tell you from experience you need to boil it . i put mine on the grill and let it simmerbut it took like 8 hrs or more for the meat to come off then i didnt use anything to help me get the meat off . i just scraped it . to get the brains out easier just take a sawsall and cut about 2 inches behind the antlersthis left me a nice hole about 2 inches round .i also used a clothes hanger to go though the nasal cavitie. well hope this helps . keep me informed on your progress
Old 11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

we my step dad and i spent most of the day boiling it, and digging away at the meat. there is a small amount left on it, and we are going to finish it tomorrow. i didnt end up cutting a hole in the back, i put a coat hanger up there and turned it into mush. then stuck the hose in it and watch my lawn get covered in brain particals, lol my wife nearly vomited HAHA.

so this is the result after day 2.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

oh and before next season i will have a nice colony of Beatles so it will be alot easier
Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 AM

just curious why did u pull the front of the nose piece off? i have done 5 of them myself and always leave that peice on, i use the boiling water method and works great but time consuming

Quick Reply: attempting a skull mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.