Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Taxidermy Careers? >

Taxidermy Careers?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermy Careers?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taxidermy Careers?

I am young but I have really been thinking about what I am going to do with my life when I get older.

I really want to go into taxidermy. ButI was also thinking that it would be really hard to start in that career right out of college. I dont know what to do.

I guess I'm asking if you all that are into taxidermy, how did you start? Did you start immediately after you got out of school. Or did you get your degree in something else and then get enough money to start you own business. Just tell me how you did things. And if you started your career in something else, what was it.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Taxidermy Careers?

My advise to you would be get your degree. Then you can start getting things, to get started in taxidermy, full time does not happen overnight. You need to get good enough to produce a mount that people will pay money for. Quality mounts will bring referal business, you do not want it to be the other way around.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

IMO I would go to school and get a good job. One that pays good and is SECURE and almost not effected by an economy going South like goverment (forest ranger) (field biologist) (border patrol), state, not for profit. Don't get me wrong those jobscan be effectedbut sometimes less. Also make sure its acushy jobtoo.

Be prepared for these things if you really want to become one.
1. Long hours (most of the time you will be skining and trying to mount at the same time)
2. Nobenefits(Most Taxidermist have wives that have bennies)
3.Slow payers that call you non stop then when it comes time to pickup don't call you back.
4. Being exposed to tanins and chemicals which can be bad for your health.
5. Standing on your feet all day
6. No pension
7. No 401k
8. My biggest issue NO TIME TO HUNT!
9. Pay fluctuates from year to year, nothing like a nice snowy opener or a nice rained out one!
10. Getting half your $$$ upfront and half when done (if your lucky).
11. What if your health fails you? Do you have a backup plan?
12. Can you do it till your 65?

Now if you can deal with all this and you want to be your own boss than I wish youthe bestof luck.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Spike

I look at taxidermy as a fun side job/hobby to make some extra cash and that is it. If it turns out you are getting enough in to make full time at it than more power to ya. I have been doing it for 3 years now part time with my own shop and I still only bring in enough to keep me busy for 2-3 months.