Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Van Dykes Kits The Best Out There? >

Van Dykes Kits The Best Out There?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Van Dykes Kits The Best Out There?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Van Dykes Kits The Best Out There?

I attempted to do a squirrel a few years ago, and thought i did pretty decent. Got one of those Van Dyke kits from cabelas. I did a decent job of the skinning, just one of the eye lids ripped a little on me, and hard to get the meat out of the tows, and some small places. Only big problem i had was my plaster/platisc mount that it came with. It was little to short, and to wide for my squirrel. There was some putty I think that came with it but not nearly enough to make it work. I just chucked everything in the trash.

Now... is the Van Dykes kit the best out there? Or is there a better way? Also I will be going duck hunting here in the next week or two, and plan on getting a few mallards/woodys. Are ducks easy for someone that has little/no expierence? Even if it turns out good, i want it to last and not fall appart in a few years from using cheap materials. Also does any place sell like a cheaper "basic" tool set to get someone started? I would really like to do this in my spare time, and attempted it before so know I am interested. I also plan on getting a ringneck pheaseant and was told they are easy as well. I would like to have a few animals under my belt this season and maybe attempt a deer shoulder mount as I get better.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Van Dykes Kits The Best Out There?

No two animals are exactly the same size, and you can’t count on the form you buy to fit any animal perfectly. Modifying the form is part of taxidermy, and one of the great characteristics of the foam manikin. Easy to cut and glue. I would highly recommend buying some videos before attempting more mounts. That will let you get an understanding of the process, and give you an idea of supplies you’ll need. There is no “best” kit, and you really don’t need a kit at all. Buying supplies separate will allow you to get a form that is closer to the animal you have chosen. A kit may have a fox squirrel size body, which obviously won’t work with a grey squirrel.
This is a bad time of year to be obtaining ducks. They are full of pin feathers and just don’t mount up well at all. Try to get your birds late in the fall or winter. WASCO and McKenzie both have good supplies and videos.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

salt - this is going to sound discouraging but Iam going to tell it the way I see it and have experienced it. Van Dykes kits are good for someone who does it infrequently. They work but have their problems. That being said, ducks are a whole different ball of wax. A duck contains may oils and fats that they use for insulation and for waterproofing. If a duck is not thoroughly cleaned, you will have a greasy, dripping mess. Now I won't say that there aren't guys out there whobutcher a duck mount and call it a mount but realistically a duck is harder to mount than most think. You can get it on the form and it may look good but if it isn't cleaned and degreased, between every feather quill, you will be opening the door to every taxidermist nightmare - the dreaded dermestid beetle. And another thing to help discourage you (not really) but I know many a more experienced taxidermist with the proper equipment who had the hardest time mounting a wood duck, they refered to it as "trying to flesh wet toilet paper".
After saying all this, you should give it a try. If you enjoyed your first experience you may be on your way to a career in taxidermy. I know above that it appears that I am trying to steer you away from it, I am just trying to let you know what you are in for. Go for it. If I can help with any questions, let me know.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I really do want to try it, but I want to make sure I know what I need to do before i do it. I am going to tackle the squirrel again, and probably a ringneck.