Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Figure you guys will have the answer.. >

Figure you guys will have the answer..

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Figure you guys will have the answer..

Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Figure you guys will have the answer..

What is the best way to send off a hide to be tanned? What should I do to the hide to keep it from rotting? Also, what is the time frame I need to have the hide sent out. First I need to find a tannery around here (SE Indiana/SW Ohio). Thanks for any advice I appreciate it. I tried it once and its so tedious I thought I'd never be able toget all the fat off, so I figured it is well worth the money to have it tanned. Thank you

Adam Bowman
Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Figure you guys will have the answer..

I flesh all the fat and chunks of meat off, and scrape it as good as I can. Then I salt it and hang it for a day. Then, take it down and salt and hang it again. When it's pretty dry, but not hard I put it in a trash bag, then into a box and ship it. I use Wildlife Fur Dressing in Michigan to tan my hides.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Spike

Wildlife gallery in blanchard Michigan. They also have another part of the company B&B Skinning. You can send them your frozen hide and they will flesh and turn everything, then send it throught their tanning process, when you get it back its ready for the mannikin. Their tan smells great too. Only 82 bucks to have all that done.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, thanks for the info
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with everything but the trash bag. Never put a salted hide in any type of plastic. Other than that, all good info.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I don't place the hide in a bag and tie it up. I line my box with a bag so if there is any moisture left in the hide, it won't ruin the box. I have always done it this way with no problems.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Moisture shouldn't be a problem. If there is a possibility that moisture can leak out, then your hides are no where near dry enough to send out. Plastic does just as you say, keeps moisture in, and that can mean disaster when dealing with skins. I believe you haven't had any problems so far, but it only takes once and then it's too late. Every tannery I have used always recommends you DO NOT use plastic when boxing skins to ship.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I ship in burlap or fabric bags.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My tannery doesn't want to receive them dryed hard,they want them still plyable,so I use the liner in the box. Why would you put your hides in a burlap bag? If they are so dry that there is no moisture present, then just a plain box should be fine, and if they are not completely dry, a burlap bag isn't going to stop any moisture from getting on the box.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

The burlap bag will catch loose salt, and allow for the hide to breath, so that NO moisture (bacteria habitat)is trapped with the hide.

Quick Reply: Figure you guys will have the answer..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.