Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Got a question

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got a question

I got a bear hide from my Mom today in the mail. I thought I may try to make a rug out of it but I've heard thats a task for a beginer like me so for now I'll leave it as is.

Here is the deal though. Its a cinamon phase black bear from AK. Not a great big bear but pretty fur. The problem is she shipped it in a box and its pretty messed up looking right now. What can I do other than laying it flat to make its fur lay back right.

Also it has a little musty (sp?) smell. What is a good way to get that out without damaging it. Its not real bad but I'd like it not smelling at all.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got a question

Here is a pic. The more I look at it the more issues I see it has. One is a big rip in behind the fron leg. I'll have to figure out how to sew that up. It also has a hole in the nose maybe shot in the head? not sure. But even without putting the head form in it it would look pretty cool on the wall in my archery shop. It does have the claws attached though.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

pic 2

Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

It looks like an old tan and has started cracking apart.Thats what I see from the photos.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. I do know that the rip behind the front leg there is from my mom. She said she did it. I'm not sure what to do with this other than sew it up and hang it as is. I'm sure its old but seems a shame to just throw it out. I'd rather figure out something to do with it. It is a pretty hide.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I repaired an old deer hide with a tear about 6" by using a dryer sheet and super glue. It wouldn't sew up, just kept pulling stitches. Since it too was just going to get hung up on the wall, I thought I'd try the dryer sheet and super glue. It work for small repairs before mounting a critter and worked on that 6" tear. I would glue the sheet to one side first, let dry and then pull the tear together and glue the other side. Does use quite a bit of glue!