Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 taxidermy question >

taxidermy question

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

taxidermy question

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Default taxidermy question

well today i went to pick up my deer head from the taxidrmist, problam is he did not mount it the way i told him i wanted it , i wanted asemisneak mount, with a rt turn, he mounted it semi sneak rt turn but he angled the head way down, like it is looking at the floor. he said he did it that way to show off the horns better, well i did not take it and told him to do it the way i wanted it done. is it possiable to remount it after it is already finished? he said he had to soke it in acitone to loosen the epoxy befor he can fix it. will that damage the hide? i paid 550 to get it mounted, should i expect to pay more to get redone
Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: taxidermy question

Since your from NJ may I ask wo you used? He should of done the mount the way it should be done, and he should redo it for 1/2 price, he didn't have your permission to do it the way he wanted. My taxidermist that I use, well he is expensive, but he is the best and that comes from others in the taxidermist field. You may get hair slippage and/or the entire cape may be ruined. When you brought your deer in, didn't he make up a contract order with the type of mount you wanted? If so, then he should redo it for FREE, since he broke the contract, any court in NJ will find in your favor.....Best of luck
Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM

yea we wrote up a contract with what i wanted, and the funny thing is me and my hunting parnter each took our deer there the same day, both asked for the same mount. when we went to pick them up my buddys was perfect and mine was wrong. so when i asked what happened he said he though mine would look better the way he did it. i dont really want to put his name on here till i get this resolved, i am just hopeing he makes good on it.
for the future who do you use?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use and will only use George Dante "WILDLIFE PRESERVATIONS" he is located in West Paterson
Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM

i wanted to use wildlife preservations too, but i called his shop on the sunday i butchered the deer and he was not around. so i did not want the head to go bad so i looked in the phone book and the guy i used was the only one who would take it that day, guess i was doomed from the start. the guy i brought it to does nice work, my friends deer look great, he just mounted mine in such a strange way it looks bad, i wish i knew how to post a pic of it. when its hanging on the wall you only see its forhead and horns, his nose is pointing almoststright down. kinda like he is charging at you.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 PM

here it is

Old 05-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM

wanted the face looking out not at ground
Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wildlife Preservations does all my work, George should be calling me soon, requesting I return my two ILLINOIS racks cause it is time to mount them. Next time leave a voice mail, George will return the call. Also, just place the whole head and cape in a plastic bag and place in the refrig, it will be ok over night, just make sure the cape doesn't get wet
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Spike

actually, that pose was very popular in my shop this season..I have about 20 of that pose to do...but, it is a specialty pose,and not one that everyone likes..you need to hang it higher on the wall. It is called an "aggressive pose", it is NOT A SEMI-SNEAK...a semi-sneak has the head more or less even with the shoulder height, not way above. My opinion is that either your taxidermist either ordered the wrong form, or had that one laying around the shop, and decided to save time and money by utilizing it.
Incidentally, I get alot of hunters and fishermen wanting to drop stuff off on Sundays, and if I am able to accomodate them, I will, but it's not always possible..
Always refrigerate or freeze an item to be mounted until you can get it where it has to go. Just running it over to whoever answered a phone on a Sunday isn't a good idea.
Hunters should always visit a taxidermist before the season starts and view the work and ask questions then.....then you can make the best decision about where to bring your trophies..
If he used an epoxy based pste, there is no way it's coming off that form.He will need a replacement cape which he should supply, since he mounted it in a way that was not agreed upon.
good luck, Rich
Fins to Feathers Taxidermy
www.alllongislandtaxidermy.com

Quick Reply: taxidermy question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.