Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Finally got it done........ >

Finally got it done........

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Finally got it done........

Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Finally got it done........

FINALLY........after several test fits and reshaping of the form, plus changing out the head and neck....I finally got my first life-size whitetail mounted.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finally got it done........

It looks good. It also looks like alot of work. If I ever get a Booner I will mount it full body. Doug
Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice, did you do it yourself?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Yes....I started doing taxidermy on a part-time basis a few years ago and always wanted to do a life-size. The customer has already seen it and was pleased.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

WOW! that is really cool
Old 02-19-2008, 04:26 PM

looks great.. nice job
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM

definitely an awesome job...that is not an easy thing to do
Old 02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Firediver,
This might be a silly question to you experienced taxidermy guys.........but just what should a hunter do in preparation of the animal (deer) if he intends to have full body mount done?

I feel stupid but how you would go about skinning th eentire animal properly is going right over my head?
I've case skinned fox and coyotes before but always for market so we would cut the legs off fairly high and didn't include the feet.
I'm having a hard time understanding how the heck you guys do that. LOL
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Very good question Matt!!

The first thing to do is field dress the animal. Instead of the normal cuts when field dressing your deer....keep the belly incision as small as possible.....and don't remove the "twig & berries". This cut is easily sewn up during the prep work. I "gutted" this buck with only an 18" cut.

Next would be the pose you want. If you want a bedded buck look, you will have to skill the deer just like you would a bear for a rug. Plus you will have to make the obvious relief cuts to remove the antlers.

For a standing buck (or any other mammal), I prefer cutting the deer all of the way down the back. It is much easier in my opinion and a lot less sewing. Any decent taxidermist can sew this seem up without it showing. Start with the "Y" or "7" cut between the antlers and continue all of the way down to the base of the tail. Seperate the tail from the body and skin away!!!

Once you get down the legs...you will come to a certain point where a relief cut will have to be made to skin the rest of the way down to the hooves.

Then there are the hooves......I send all of my hides out for fleshing as well as tanning so I don't have to deal with the hooves. It is an extra charge...but I don't have the time or space to do it myself. They take care of the hooves, split the tail, etc before salting.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM

FireDiver
Where do you send off your capes and how much does it cost for a whitetail; full body and head? and maybe some other animals. I am looking to do the same kind of things but i dont know where to send...
Thanks for the info!

-Texas

Quick Reply: Finally got it done........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.