Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Air Brushing 101... >

Air Brushing 101...

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Air Brushing 101...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Air Brushing 101...

I just starting messing around with taxidermy and found out that i am able to do all the work up until the airbrushing. What I am looking for is how or a video on how to air brush a deer or any animal to be honest. is there anything out there? Or if you have any tips...

My problem so far is that I keep jamming/clogging the air brush because i guess the paint is to thick but i cant seem to get any paint to come out. I took it apartto unclog it and asdumb as it may seemI cant put it back together.AmI just an idiot or has anyone else had problems with airbrushes. Is there a BEST paint touse or is there a BEST airbrush to use that wont clog so easily?
Right now i am using a no brand name airbrush and Lifetone paints....is that wrong...PLEASE HELP ME thanks

_TEXAS
Old 02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Air Brushing 101...

Tex - If you are using LIfetone paints you may want to try a retarder. I use them and have to use a retarder. It keeps the paint from drying too fast. Aibrushing is a matter of control, take your time and practice, practice, practice....
Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Will that help keep from clogging in the brush...And I would love to practice but i cant get any paint to come out!!! lol Any suggestions
The paint isnt drying inside the container...even if i add it in the jar IMMEDIATELY itwont come out! I have this really nice mount but i cant airbrush because i cant get anything to come out but AIR...
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Did you try water or thinner instead of paint? That would be the first thing I did. That would tell you if the airbrush is blocked, or if it's a paint problem. I doubt it's the paint. Retarder stops the paint from drying as it exits the airbrush, clogging the tip. Your first post made it sound as if that was the problem. Now it sounds like it isn't even sucking up the paint. Cheap airbruhes are often unreliable. Lifetone paint should be airbrush ready for the most part.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM

I deffinately think that it might be the airbrush! What are some good ones to use for taxidermy...What do you guys use? I did try using thinner and it didnt seem to help any so my second thought was to replace the airbrush but i dont know which one to get or how much i will have to spend to buy a "good one"
Thanks you so much guys for you time and suggestions!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

I just use a Paasche VL. I bought it for $30 off Ebay. Some people use the H (single action). I don't know what they cost, but it's less then the VL, which is about $80 new I think. I think Badger airbrushes are cheaper yet, and plenty of people do fine with them. The VL is the only one I've used, so it's all I can really comment on.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM

I know technique in airbrushing takes time but should i be able to use life tone paint andbegin to airbrush or isit hard to get the airbrush to work? Because so far it has been so frustrating just to get paint to come out....
Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I suppose it depends on the airbrush, but with any I've ever seen, paint should spray out immediately. Lifetone is airbrush ready, so that shouldn't be your problem. Apparently it's clogged somewhere. Are you getting any paint at all?How manyPSI are you using?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM

Nope No paint at all and I'm not sure what psi i was using...
What is an ideal PSI level to be airbrushing at...I have several size pumps
Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

"Ideal" depends on a number of factors. Personally, I do best with 45 psi or so. Some people use as low as 15 lbs.

Quick Reply: Air Brushing 101...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.