Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 how do you do it? >

how do you do it?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

how do you do it?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 AM

Default how do you do it?

ill start off with saying that i know nothing about taxidermy. i've been doing the rack mounts and thats it. i really want to be able to mount my own deer. ive been doing some reading and im lost. ive never even had a deer mounted, or takin the skin off the head. my questions is what is the process before you can even start laying the hide on the mold? what does it mean to tann the skin? it looks like it would be very very hard to get all the skin off the head and ears w/o messing it up. i ordered a 6hr video last night and should be in next week. i plan on practicing on does, i want to learn this on my own and not go to a school, im pretty good at pickin stuff up just have to be shown the process. can somebody on here tell me how to get the skin off around the head, then what had to be done after you get it off?

Tommy
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do you do it?

Its really easy to do. I taught myself and I have mounted 2 deer already and they look pretty good. Skinning the head isnt that hard. It comes off pretty easy in fact, just make sure that whatever you use to skin it with is good and sharp. The only thing I dread doing is the ears......I hate them! That video should teach you everything you need to know about skinng, tanning and everything else.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Default RE: how do you do it?

hope so, im really looking forward to doing it, ill take more pride in a mount knowing that i killed the deer and mounted it myself