Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 bone and antler handles >

bone and antler handles

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

bone and antler handles

Old 08-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Spike

Default bone and antler handles

How wouldyou prepare the bone or antler for a knife handle? I heard you can soak an antler in a bucket of water for a month to soften the inside so you can insert the blade, is bone the same way? I wasnt sure where to post this so if I am in the wrong area feel free to move it.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bone and antler handles

Ya I have heard that you are supposed to soak it so it expandes. That way when you stick the blade inside the bone hardens and you dont even have to use glue most of the time.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Spike

I have done a few knifes but have never soaked the antler , I split it with a band saw and smoth and shape with belt sander , b4 I put the antler on the knife I put a thin layer of jbweld and then fasten with brass pins , then use a ping hammer to flair the pins to secure permanently .http://www.texas-hunters.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10028/normal_DSC05058.JPG
Old 08-21-2007, 01:31 AM

I believe my uncle that makes knives with antler handles just drills a hole through, then inserts the end of the blade through the hole. He has made up his own molds for the bolsters at the ends of the handle, which he fills with aluminum, then grinds them into shape.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey nice work there
ORIGINAL: deerslayer64d

I have done a few knifes but have never soaked the antler , I split it with a band saw and smoth and shape with belt sander , b4 I put the antler on the knife I put a thin layer of jbweld and then fasten with brass pins , then use a ping hammer to flair the pins to secure permanently .http://www.texas-hunters.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10028/normal_DSC05058.JPG
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Spike

THank you.