Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Taxidermy as a Career? >

Taxidermy as a Career?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermy as a Career?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taxidermy as a Career?

I was considering going to school for taxidermy, but everyone keeps telling me I wont make any money in it and that the work is only seasonal. I disagree, but can I have some input from you other taxidermists? Thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy as a Career?

If by seasonal you mean ever season, then yes it is seasonal. I am getting a deer brought to me Tues.. But making a living is very different than taking in work. It is very difficult to make a living but it can be done. I am in my 5th year and still doing it part time but I don't mount fish or birds and probably turn away as much as I take in. I am also the highest in my area, so that helps.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you do good work and promote yourself, it could indeed be seasonal. All four of them to be exact.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area there is only one other taxidermist and he is VERY expensive, so I think I would have a pretty good shot at getting business.
Plus I am going to learn how to do fish and birds too so that might help during the summer season. I was planning on just doing it part-time also until I get my name out, but I have people right now telling me they want me to mount their deer, so I think I might have a chance.

Thanks for the help!

This is a picture of my first deer I killed and mounted. I did it without knowing anything and I think its pretty good, but I know there are a few things to improve.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM

You can do really well if you do good work and your prices are reasonable. My buddy is a taxidermist and he takes in over 200 whitetails 100 elk and over 150 bears a year, and thats not counting the exotics he takes in. He had a guy that had 40 animals that he wanted done and he signed a contract with him the total bill was over 48 thousand dollars, cause alot were life size.He told me his cost was about 22 thousand. He had to hire another guy just to keep up, not only that but I help out fleshing and he pays me. Ive done a few mounts myself at his shop of my own stuff and they turned out killer. But He does work almost 7 days a week and alot of times he doesnt get out of there untill 11 at night.......one other problem is getting people to pay for there stuff......get big deposits to cover your expenses. or you will be owning alot of animals. Good luck if you want more insight I could hook you up to talk with him he's a good guy and would probably help you.
Brett
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 AM

It's hard to get into. I have been buying books and videos to learn. I hear good stuff and I hear bad stuff. This Site has helped me learn taxidermy.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM

If you are wanting to learn taxidermy we offer 1 on 1 training in our studio. We are located in NW Ohio and teach classes around the students schedule (i.e. weekends) to allow them to keep their current jobs. If you want more information it can be found at www.saultaxidermy.com or email me.