Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

canvas back

Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Default canvas back

I just picked up my canvas back form the taxidermist this week, and he could not have done a worse job if he tried. The only descent part of the entire job is the plaque that I made. Dose anyone know if another taxidermist could clean it up to where I wouldn't be embarrassed to hang it on my wall? If so who?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: canvas back

hi i just had the same thing happen to me with my deer. post a pic and ask the guys whats wrong with it then bring it to him and show him the responces and tell him to fix it or refund your $$$$. look at my deer under " dosnt look right"
Old 05-28-2007, 12:00 PM

Big buck 28,
I did see the pics of your deer. I'm sorry that you had to suffer a similar pain. I however am stuck with a bad mount. The man who did the work is actually a retired taxidermist. The man who bought his business doesn't do birds and referred me to him. When I took him the duck, all of his work I saw was descent and I felt good about having him do the job. When I picked up Thursday I expressed how unhappy I was, and he said that this was the best he could do. Because he is not a business anymore there's not much I could do besides taking him to court. I would rather find someone else to do the job any way. if he hurt it this bad to begin with, who knows how bad it look the second time around. I tried to post some pics, but even with the resolution turned all the way down on my camera the files are too large. But this is what he was supposed to look like.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM

If anyone wants to see how bad the mount really is just let me know and I'll email you pics.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I feel your pain. I shot a trophy woodduck several years ago. Didn't do my homework and took it to the first cheap guy I could find, guaranteed back in 90 days. What a disappointment!! The eyes were horrible, used the real head,Feet and beak were horribly painted, wrong colors, purple feet, the beak was painted by hand with a brush and testors model paint. If that isn't bad enough the guy had no idea how to flesh and degrease waterfowl. One month later and the bird was soaked with grease and yellowing. Been trying and haven't killed a bird even close to size and plumage of that bird. It makes me sick every time I think about it.[:'(]
Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 AM

every one thinks there a taxidermis. i went threw 4 before i found a great one
Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM

dbblung,
That about sums up what's wrong with my can. I think that he might have done an o.k. job fleshing degreasing, but the rest is spot on to include blood stained feathers, and the pose isn't even close.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

I just sent you a PM. My canvasback mounts were used in the first painting of New Jersey first of state Duck stamp.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM

rgswildlife,
I just emailed you a handful of pics. Do you think there is anything you could for my monstrosity? And if so how much? You can reply to the email address that is attached to the pics if you would like.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

[X(]I responded to your e-mail and I dont beleive there is anything you can do except donate it for a tax write off. The mount is trash, sorry. Here are the photos.

Quick Reply: canvas back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.