Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Moth Problems, What do you do? >

Moth Problems, What do you do?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Moth Problems, What do you do?

Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moth Problems, What do you do?

How do I stop this?????

Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moth Problems, What do you do?

Put the whole mount in to a large plastic bag, spray any of the Raid bug products in the bag, not on the mount, but around the sides of the bag, use a lot, close the bag up tight and wait about one week, remove and air outside, that will take care of it. I use this method in my shop all the time for dermestids.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a reason you have had this problem. On an antelope, there is a musk gland right there, apparently it wasn't fleshed properly. The "Bag it, & Bomb it" will only give you temporary relief. You need to check and see if there is another reason for the moths, other than the mount. Bird seed, dog food, etc. There is only one proven and guaranteed way to prevent dermestids and/or moths - Miller's Trophy Room. I recommend them to my clients. It's not to say that the "Bag it & Bomb it" method won't get rid of the living ones, but it won't take care of eggs or reinfestation. And if you get dermestids they will even eat the horn, because it's modified hair, they eat African horns as well. I've seen some once in a lifetime trophies ruined. It's pretty cheap insurance, I think it's like $50 to have them treat a mount.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What if the mounts were dried/fleshed properly will the bugs still get them! This has me worried, I have my Kudu and one of my Gemsbok up at my cabin and don't want this to happen!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a nut shell, yes. There are dermestids everywhere, nature's little clean up crew. Most of the time infestation is caused by another source, ie dog food, bird seed, dead animal under the cabin,etc. I especially recommend all my African and high dollar hunts to Miller's. I saw a video of one guys trophy room where they filmed him "petting" a $25,000 Russian Grizzley and the hair literally falling off. Check Miller's Trophy Room out, google them. They will come to you and they guarantee for 10 years, the ONLY insurance out there. You may never have a problem, but for a little money, I will. Some guys are lucky and never have them but the ones that do can loose their entire trophy room.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have been doing what I posted here for over 35 years and have not had any more problems. Sorry if we have a difference of opnion but why scare somebody with the only cure that you use. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Walmart bug sprays simply will not kill eggs, and leave no lasting effect. That's not a difference of opinion.If run through the process numerous times, over a couple weeks, I reckon it would kill all moths and the eggs that eventually hatch. Still, it would need repeated regularly to prevent more infestation. And as mentioned, the original source needs to be determined.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use this method in my shop all the time for dermestids.
If you haven't had any problems ,why do it all the time????? There is only one GUARANTEED prevention. That's Miller's Trophy Room. You can bag it and bomb it, fumigations and foggers, heck cross your fingers but even professional fumigators won't guarantee it. How you handle your customers is your concern, but I refuse to let anyone that asks be told a way that won't cut it. I would rather not answer then give a wrong answer. I tell my customers Miller's, some refuse it and soem see the benefit. If they refuse, I note it on my paperwork. Somewhere down the road if they have a problem they can't blame me.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

This is great information. Thanks for everyones input
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

If you haven't had any problems ,why do it all the time?????
I have many customers, so yes I do it all the time to different customers. I will not get into a pissing contest with you.

Turkeyreaper, good luck with your bug problem.

Quick Reply: Moth Problems, What do you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.