Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Antelope

Old 04-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Antelope

I do alot of big game hunting and2 season iharvest a real nice antelope.I almost immediatly caped it out and got it in the freezor. I took it up to the taxidermist and when i got it back i was shocked to see a giant patch on the base of its neck where all the hair was falling out. Nowing the taxidermist personally i didnt really take it to heart untill i recomended that one of my bodies take his antelope there only to have the same problem with this mount. Now at $425 i kinda like my heads to like atleast presentable. I dont know wat to do or if im doing somthing wrong or if its the taxidermist or his tanner im looking for some suggestions.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Antelope

Was it the cheek patch area? If this isn't cleaned out well it can cause slippage. I won't speculate exactly why it happened, but I wouldn't consider a mount with a large bald spot as being finished and let the customer take it home.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

i would consider it the chest between where the front legs would be and u can tell the hair is darker and it is slipping out

Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 AM

IF YOU KEPT IT IN THE FREEZER TO LONG YOU CAN RUN INTO PROBLEMBS WHEN TRYING TO UNTHAW IT
Old 04-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Thawingdoes not cause slippage if done properly, and the amount of time in the freezer doesn't do anything except maybe freezer burn. Antelope are tricky and slip easily. It's too tough for us to guess why it slipped. It could be on his end or yours. All I can be certain about is it wouldn't go out the door like that if it was as bad as what I'm thinking.