Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Tanning/fur questions >

Tanning/fur questions

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Tanning/fur questions

Old 01-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tanning/fur questions

Following the recommendation of a fellow hunter in the small game forum I'm posting this here. Sorry for the repeat.

Hello, please bear with me and my ignorance on this subject. I’ve hunted for quite a few years now, but primarily focusing on deer and turkey. I would like to start making some hunting clothing/accessories out of furs and have no experience other than reading about it. I want to start out small with maybe a hand warmer for my son and was leaning towards rabbit fur. I’d also like to toy around with some custom hat liners for the extreme cold.

What I’d like to know is;
- Is one type of fur better suited for this type of craft?
- Tanning practices seem to be pointing me toward the “brain”, or “salt” methods for scent control reasons. Either one better than the other? Like easier to get it right, lower scent molecules etc?
- Any good suggestions for other types of clothes or accessories would be appreciated. I’m trying to keep the fur on the inside for safety reasons.
- Anything creative to do with the small pieces of fur that will most likely be cut from the edges?

Thanks a lot guys & gals,
KP