Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Are squirrels hard to mount? >

Are squirrels hard to mount?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Are squirrels hard to mount?

Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Are squirrels hard to mount?

Hello All,
I mounted a pigeon in a highschool class a long time ago. I was wanting to try a squirrel. Has anyone tried it from home an how did you go about it? More concerned I guess with the hide removal and prep work. I would probably order the form from McKenzie? And what ever else I would need.
Just wanted to know the best way and about how much you had in it.
Do you have any pics of it after you finished? Is there a video I need to buy?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are squirrels hard to mount?

I actually have mounted a squirrel before, and while most professional taxidermists would think that...well it sux lol. I ordered a kit from Van Dykes and it gave step by step instructions which i found very easy. Then at the end, it said to pin and shape the mouth around the teeth in which you pulled out earlier. Well i read those instructions like 4 different times and it never said anything about pulling teath![:@] so the mouth is kind of messed up along with a variety of other things. But hey its my first and as long as you dont look at it from any other angle except while its on the wall, it looks pretty good.

If I were you, I would buy a kit instead of just the form. Also, be very careful skinning around the ears and eyes!

ill see if i can upload some pix of my squirrel.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

NO! just sneak up from behind and grab there little legs.
I am sorry I just could not resist.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Spike

I know Cabelas has a squirrel mounting kit. You can choose from either climbing or sitting like it has a nut in its hand. They're pretty cool, I have thought about getting me one. I would buy it before I actually done anything with the squirrel just to make sure I wouldn't screw anything up.
They run about $19.00

P.S. Nice one Montana Bob! ROTFL
Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

We'll finish your story....What did you do after you got his little legs apart???

NO! just sneak up from behind and grab there little legs.
I am sorry I just could not resist.
[/quote]

I will check Cabela's and Van Dykes.

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Twice now I've seen a blonde squirrel here at my house. The season is in and I'm thinking about having him mounted but I just don't want to pop him for that reason. How rare are blonde squirrels?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:13 PM

yeah i was going to say that i seen somethin in cabelas havin to do with squirrel mounts
ORIGINAL: joejoepeck

I know Cabelas has a squirrel mounting kit. You can choose from either climbing or sitting like it has a nut in its hand. They're pretty cool, I have thought about getting me one. I would buy it before I actually done anything with the squirrel just to make sure I wouldn't screw anything up.
They run about $19.00

P.S. Nice one Montana Bob! ROTFL
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&noImage=0
heres the link to cabelas mount kit:
Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Rob/Pa Bowyer,

I have never seen a blonde squirrel. We mostly have the squirrels with the bushy orange tail, I think they call them a fox squirrel? Bowhunter46 looks as if he hasa grey squirrel. I know different areas host different kinds, but would be cool to see a blonde one. Can you tell what type of squirrel family he is part of?Have you taken any pic of it yet?

Southern hunter, I was on another site that also has the same kit and also sold (seperately)a dvd from an award winning squirrel Taxidermist. Not sure if his instuctions would follow along with whats supplied in the kit though.
Thanks for posting!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: crutch

Rob/Pa Bowyer,

I have never seen a blonde squirrel. We mostly have the squirrels with the bushy orange tail, I think they call them a fox squirrel? Bowhunter46 looks as if he hasa grey squirrel. I know different areas host different kinds, but would be cool to see a blonde one. Can you tell what type of squirrel family he is part of?Have you taken any pic of it yet?

It is a blonde grey squirrel, I watched him today and thought about shooting it but I don't want to shoot just to shoot. How rare is a blonde grey squirrel?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: crutch

Bowhunter46 looks as if he hasa grey squirrel.
yes you are correct. I myself have never seen a blond squirrel, but have seen a black squirrel. Im lookin to mount a nice fat fox squirrel in a couple months. I just gotta go get him outta the woods.

Quick Reply: Are squirrels hard to mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.