Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 flehmen whitetail mount??? >

flehmen whitetail mount???

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

flehmen whitetail mount???

Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default flehmen whitetail mount???

anybody had any experience with the flehmen mount. Im entertaining getting my sons 06 buck mounted in this pose. any pros and cons?? just wanting to know if it takes anything away from the looks of the rack with it being tilted back. any pics, please post. and does it generaly cost more for this mount.
Dan
Old 11-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Default RE: flehmen whitetail mount???

I had one done a few years ago, and its one of my favorite poses. The only extra cost should be for the mouthpiece which I think was like 20 bucks or so, it looks cool, and the mouthpiece is very realistic, with teeth and tongue, and my taxidermist is very concerned with tiny details, like even the wrinkles around his nose, it may not show in the pics, but it is a neat mount to look at up close. Heres a couple pics.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:08 PM

another angle head on

Old 11-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Angus, thanks for taking the time to post your pics. Thats a very good looking buck you have there. The manikin in the vandikes catalogue shows the mount with the head cocked back as if licking a branch over a scrape. That is what i was concerned about, that it would take away from the view of the rack. your pose looks like a sneak mount and you can see all of the rack just fine. Again thanks!! Are you still chasing that big nontypical you had game pics of ?
Dan
Old 11-23-2006, 07:57 PM

Your right,, that is a full sneak manikin, and I had my taxi add the flehmen mouthpiece to it. He simply cut and shaped the form to take the mouthpiece, and thats how it turned out, Im very happy with it. Yes Ive been chasing him pretty hard and saw him once at about 100 yards, but he had gotten the scent of my cousin and was sneaking out of a deep draw angling away from me, and wouldnt turn back. Then I heard a rumor that someone spotlighted him the night I saw him. I havent confirmed the rumor yet, but if they did it will surface sooner or later. Im pretty sick over it, but hopefully it wasnt him they shot. If you decide how you want it mounted, post pics when you get it back. Good luck this fall.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well no mater what pose we go with i will post the pics anyway. Im just proud of the patience he had this year. He said he would hold out for a quality buck this year and he did just that. He just turned 15 and has 4 bucks and five does under his belt already two being bow kills. up until now his biggest was a small six a small 4 and a spike. hope the nontypical did not get poached and hope you get him. enjoy the rest of the season.
Dan