Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Beetle versus boil and backing options >

Beetle versus boil and backing options

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Beetle versus boil and backing options

Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Beetle versus boil and backing options

Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to shoot a small 11 point buck, and I've always wanted a Euro mount.

I spoke with one Taxi, who has a great reputation, and has won awards. She quoted me $75 for a Euro via boiling and chemicals. Another gentleman quoted me $40 with beetle use, and chemicals if need be. He's in a reputable sportsman's shop in the area, and appears to do good work (his examples anyway).

I have two questions.

1. What are thepro/con listsof beetle cleaning Vs. Boiling? I understand bones may get brittle during boiling.

2. I'm looking for places to view possible backings. I'd like to have a nice-finish wood that has the skull sitting out away from the wall, maybe with a photo incorporated. If you can send me to some Web sites I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Spike

Default RE: Beetle versus boil and backing options

A buddy of minetold me that heburys the head in the ground leaving the antlers stick up and covers them with a rubbermaid container. He lets them sit for several months, then digs it back up and the skull it cleaned off. I don't know how effective this method is, but it sounds a lot cheaper.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: firegoon

A buddy of minetold me that heburys the head in the ground leaving the antlers stick up and covers them with a rubbermaid container. He lets them sit for several months, then digs it back up and the skull it cleaned off. I don't know how effective this method is, but it sounds a lot cheaper.
$40-$75 either way is an agreeable number to me. I spent that much on my hunting license, let alone all my equipment, etc. I'd at least like to make sure it gets done right, so I can enjoy it in the future.

I'm sure that method works well, but I'd just assume take it to some place, because the ground gets frozen here pretty soon, and 100" of snow have to come before next spring
Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using beetles are the very best way to clean a skull. Compared to boiling it much better for the skull. If it's cheaper then I'd definately choose the "beetle" option.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:26 PM

Boiling runs the risk of leaving it too long and ruining the skull, I se both I boil a little bit to loosen the meat then I let the meat dry for a day or so and then I let the beetles pick it clean.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beetles are the best way to clean a skull. The beatles are only interested in the meat and won't hurt the skull. Boiling can hurt the skull if they boil too long. I would either choose to have the 'beetle person' do it, or boil it your self, which is cheaper yet.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Spike

Phade,

I just did an 8 point european skull mount for my son last night... I boiled it for about an hour and a half, removing it approximately every 15 minutes and scaping loose meat off. I used a "stock pot" (big pan) and 4 scopes of borax and 1 scope of oxy clean. I mixed the borax and oxy clean in warm water in a 1 gallon milk container and then added it to the pan and started to "cook". I then rinsed the skull off with cold water and let dry over night. The mount came out great, very tight and very white... I think the oxy clean worked to cut the grease and as a whiting agent... I don't think I'll even have to use peroxide...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:40 AM

The beetles are the way to go, I use to have them and did a lot of euros for people, and they do a much better job than the boiling. If the beetle guy is a reputable person, take it to him, they do a real nice job. A little tip, ask him if he freezes the skull after the beetles are done, the larvae of the beetle are very small, and can hid in very small hoes in the skull, and you dont want them getting on any of your other mounts at home. If you want to be sure for yourself, put it in the freezer when you get home for a few days, it will kill any beetles or larvae if he didnt already do it. Post a pic of it when its done, they look nice.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

I boiled the skull plate of my first buck (4 pointer) last weekend in a mix of water and dish soap so i could cut all the meat/hair off easier, it worked great for gettin all the gunk off, but now my antlers are lighter than they were when i shot him. did i do something wrong, and is there anything i can do to get the color back?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Not much you can do about the light antlers, except get some wood stain and put light coats on it. Next time, keep the antlers out of the water, they aren't supposed to get boiled.

Quick Reply: Beetle versus boil and backing options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.