Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 preservative question >

preservative question

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

preservative question

Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default preservative question

I have an unusual question for the taxidermists here. I have a very nice 8 pointer I just harvested Nov. 7th. He was eating a cob of corn in the cut cornfield I shot him in. I have already taken him tomy local taxidermist. I want him mounted with a jaw set installed and if possible, a nice cob of corn in his mouth. My question is: What treatment do I need to do to the corn cob if anything, to keep it from going bad over time? Will bugs or beatles that normally get into corn be a problems if not treated? How about adenatured alcohol bath to kill any insects and when dry, satin varnish spray? And also, what will hold the corn cob in his mouth when mounted? These are stupid questions I know, but this will be my first mount that anything other than the deer head is mounted. And yes, I realize the cost is going to be a lot higher as well. Any expert advise or suggestions? I really need help on this idea before all the corn is gone. LOL. Thanks in advance guys.
BBO
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Default RE: preservative question

I would use a mixture of Denatured alchohol and Boric acid and bathe it in for a few days then dry and seal with a clear sealer.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, I would cast the corn cob. You are asking for trouble doing a real cob. Or you can even buy a realistic looking cob from a craft store and modify it. I personnaly would never use the real thing without properly preserving it and denatured may not do it because it can only penetrate so far.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Now I don't know what to do. If they are not going to last, well I may have to change them out every year or two. lOL. But one way or the other, he's gonna have a corn cob in his mouth.Thanks again,
BBO