Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Full Mount Turkey >

Full Mount Turkey

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Full Mount Turkey

Old 10-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Full Mount Turkey

Hi Guys

I've never had a full mount Turkey, or seen that many mounts. I just got my first back from my taxidermist. It looks ok to me - just curious if the mounting job looks alright to you all?

The fan looks a bit messed up - but I guess I can touch up a few feathers.

The other question I had was the beard. The length is fine, but when I harvested the bird I know the beard was much fuller than it is now. Could a beard loose some mass during mounting, freezing, or anything else? I doubt the guy did a switch on me. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:33 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Full Mount Turkey

Congrats! Nice bird. I like the mount. I'm not a taxidermist, so I don't know as much about the quality of the mount, either, but it looks good to me.

Good question on the beard. I got my first turkey back and the beard on mine seemed to all but disappear. The beard on mine wasn't overly long to begin with - it seemed thicker than most, though - but it seemed even shorter when it was mounted. I think a good portion of the length on mine is 'hidden' in the breast feathers, though.

Is yours a freeze dried head or artificial?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The guy said he skinsthe head and airbrushes them like you would airbrush a fish mount. He said he does not use the artificial heads. I thought the head turned out nice. Its hard to see - but it has all the fuzz and hairs on the head just like when it was taken.

There may be something to the beard losing something in the process. I looked at pictures of my bird when I killed him and the beard is allot thicker. Hopefully some others may shed some light on this. Thanks -
Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Looks good to me!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:00 AM

Inormally don'trespond to these questions, because typically someone has just shelled out some money and they don't like to feel like it was for nothing. So the best answer is normally if your happy were all happy.

But...Turkeys are something you have to search long and hard for someone who actually can do quality work. And most taxidermists reserve to the thinking that a turkey mount can't be made to look like the real thing. When in fact, it is the individual taxidermists inability to do so. Turkeys can be made to look very much alive and quality work will always do so.

Compare your mount to actual photos of strutting turkeys, and you'll see how well your taxidermist did. While the head looks fairly good from the photo, the rest of the bird needs some serious adjustment.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 PM

Hobbes

I appreciate the honesty. When I first got the bird I had my doubts about a few things - however I'm not an expert so that's the reason I did this is to check this guy out. He was recommended to me from someone that I don't know, but believed. He talked up how much he was the best on turkeys - I guess you learn from mistakes.

I am interested in improving the mount. I don't want to put you out - but in your opinion can it be adjusted without totally redoing it. What would your main points be for changes needed?

Any feeback is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:40 PM

The only thing you can do at this point is maybe touch up the fan by pulling the split ends together with your fingers. Just lightly run them between your thumb and forefinger pulling toward the tip to bring them together. May not be a fantastic description but I think you'll figure it out. As far as the rest of the mount. The feathers are locked into position at this point and your not going to adjust without a total remount, which would require a taxidermist, maybe more cash than the original mount cost, and you probably can't find anyone to actually remount. I hate to say it, but I would chalk it up as a learning experience.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 PM

Look and compare for yourself: