Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Unexpected wait time at taxi. >

Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:56 PM

Default RE: Unbelievable wait time at taxi.

ORIGINAL: cameronmclain

Alex- I agree with your thoughts on today's fast-paced world. As I said before- I agree that quality work takes time.

Example: I had a wood duck and a pintail mounted.
I took the wood duck to a reputable taxidermist about an hour away. He told me it would be about 90 days. I said no problem, paid him upfront, and left. After 90 days, I called him, and he said it wasn't ready, but he would call me when it was. So like a good customer I waited patiently, and it was seven months before he called. I went to pick it up, and it looked AWESOME!!! The seven months didn't bother me at all. After all- it's a stuffed duck that is hanging on my wall. NO RUSH for it!! LOL. It's not life or death! He did an outstanding job- and I would take something else to him.
My pintail I took to a guy that I met thru work. He had my duck back in three weeks. It looks decent, but some mistakes are obvious.

I'm not saying the time had anything to do with it. The first guy may have just been more talented.

An even trade I guess.

Alex:
"o thank you sir for bringing me your deer worth $150 in profit without it I would starve. I will beg for the other $300,000 I make a year from other people".
LOL! You should have told him that!

This brings up another question!
I know there are a lot of variables involved. It all depends on demand/customers/quality/prices/etc...
But I was wondering what does the average tax. make?

I know starting off you make beans, but say a guy that's been doing it for about 5 years and has a decent reputation?

This is what I want to do, good salary or not, so money doesn't really matter that much. I'm going to do it anyway. My wife can support me!!!! LOL !

But would you say a reputable tax. w/ decent amount of work makes $20k a year? $50k? $75k? I have no idea. (I'm not asking anyone to share something they're uncomfortable with! just wondering what to expect in the future!)
That is going to depend on the area of the country, Down In South Fla ,animals are just bread and butter for me, Saltwater fish and bass are the main staple.
A guy could make whatever he wants if he is set up for plastidermy (Fiberglass Replicas). Notice I don't call it taxidermy .

Well the only thing is taxidermy related is the painting, the rest I call molding and body shop, lots of glass and bondo.

If I didn't do that and dedicated myself to just animals ,I would probably make 50-80 thousand , which I did for a while.

I know in other states the majority make 16 to 18 thousand from a home shop. But it will vary, someone like Bill yox probably makes two or three million ,LOL

And I did tell the customer that, as a matter of fact I just told that to a guy in NJ looking for his sailfish he left in January while I didn't even have a roof in my shop from 2 hurricanes, But I told him 8 months maybe to see if would go away and he still left the fish ,now he calls me everyday, so I told him my Job was not a telephone operator ,nor did i need to tell him what I was doing today in his fish, that is what asks everyday,LOL.

So tomorrow I will finish his darn sailfish and ship on monday and I will black list him as a pain below the tail.

Notice Am not hurting for work so I have the lexury to come back at some of these egocentric people, with him it worked because he cracked up on the phone, "so he went OK OK OK alex I got the point"

I said "not yet you will get the point of the sailfish between the eyes if you call me tomorrow,LOL" you just got to learn how to deal with people and have them respect you also. I'll probably throw in a small fish to place in front of the sailfish as if were chasing it for free, that always works.
Peace
Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Cameron, Im afraid it was you who took me wrong, not the other way around. If you think my reply was condescending, youll never make it in this biz. Like livbucks stated, your demeanor and title to start this thread was all we had to go by. So I spoke based on that only. But, I also spoke to EVERYONE reading this, and based on all our previous posts to this effect. You might not have been involved in them. Thats the way it goes in an open forum. Yes, you ARE young, very young...in taxidermy, which was the point I was making. So, like I said, I wasnt being condescending, trust me, I can be much worse, and I wasnt trying to be defensive. Try this...

Guys like me can tell when we have too much work, regardless of past comments in here might suggest. We also hate being beyond a year, as we dont see price increases sooner, etc. But its not a screw up that gets some of us behind. Family, health, life changing situations all take their toll. Heck, I get told all the time how its because I spend all day on the computer! If they only knew how little time I take to buzz out a few of these replies! Anyway, some guys screw off, like I used to, and get behind. But others, again, like me, can have it happen regardless. We can charge such high prices to even drive away our good clients, refuse work and loose good clients who scored late ina season, or hire help that doesnt usually work out. I just outlined in another post like this how hard it is to hire help here in NY state with our taxes and laws. Like I said in my last reply, NOT condescending, but honestly...we have exhausted all other options! Nowadays, I talk to potential clients first, and explain how long, and why, and hope the heck they turn me down in favor of one of my competitors nearby. Some of us have been in business for many years, and this just starts to accumulate, too. It sounds like we are just too stupid to know better, or too lazy to work, or too dishonest to change, but again, its not like that with all of us.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:50 PM

Bill- thank you for your reply. Again- I apologize if I titled my post in an abrasive manner, and I apologize for taking your post the wrong way. I thank you for your advice and clarity on the "issues" beyond a taxi's control. Listening to an experienced person's advice is the best thing a newbie can do, and it'll help me a lot. I can't wait to get started! Have to move first, find a house, etc, the usual junk when relocating, but I've started getting my instructional books/videos in, and will put them to use soon.

Again- I appreciate everyone's help and advice!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

cameron - one last tidbit - this was told to me by a guy over a year behind and hating it ------Make sure you charge enough, set your prices high. I don't mean at first when your learning but after you are confident enough to charge for your work, charge just like a regular taxidermist. Case and point, I mounted 2 deer while I was learning ($250 each) this year he calls and asks how much, $350 and he says hell you're charging professional prices. I won't ever get that guy back an dreally don't want him. BUt hold on to that nugget.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Undercutting prices drives down the market value and hurts the industry. Charge the going rate, right off the bat. That is some good advice, NC.
If you are too cheap, you will get that huge backlog rightfrom the startand be 3 years behind right out of the gate. Plus you will be working your tail off for next to nothing. That would make you want to quit.
I'm different in the fact that I never really thought about learning the trade to make money at it. It is something I have always wanted to do and my immediate family will keep me in specimens easy enough. If I get a good workflow going and enjoy it enough, I will then go for the license and take on customers. But it will have to grow organically to that point. I would charge the average professional going rate or they could keep on going down the road to the next guy. Just the wayI feel about that. No sense destroying something you wanted to enjoy just so you could undercut the full timers, be busy as hell and make no money.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Some of us have been in business for many years, and this just starts to accumulate, too. It sounds like we are just too stupid to know better, or too lazy to work, or too dishonest to change
Hey Bill,
You said that right,( I have been doing this for over 35 years)I hope for the old days at my old shop with 4-5 guys working, jerking around, working, jerking around etc, you know what I mean? But I would not change anything about my profession, I just love doing it. Well back to work.

Rich
Old 04-04-2006, 09:11 AM

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. It all makes sense.

I appreciate everyone's help! Good luck with your businesses.