Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Unexpected wait time at taxi. >

Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unbelievable wait time at taxi.

STIR - STIR - STIR. Again. Cameron - FYI Bill Yox is one of the good guys and also one whos reputation is top notch. We have all had this argument on here before. If you search the archives you'll see. I understand both sides because I am on one end and have friends on the other. If you are gonna do it full time, you are gonna be at least a year behind.Here's how it works... During deer season, he's slammed with deer...all day long and into the night. It's hard to get any work done with the constant interuptions. So he takes in 100 deer without getting much done in that 3 month time. Then he spends, say 15 hrs a deer, skinning, salting, tanning and mounting. 15 x 100= 1500 hrs. But in the mean time he is also getting turkey, fish, coyotes, and all other such critters. Now for a full time taxi, this is his living so he has to take in all he can or is able to do. But at the end of a year, he still has work in the freezer and then deer season starts all over.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM

FYI Bill Yox is one of the good guys and also one whos reputation is top notch.
NC- I understand that, and thank you for clarifying that. The problem is that I am new, and have some legitimate questions. If someone sees a question they have already answered or don't feel like answering, there is no need for condescending replies or egotistical replies. I very much appreciate any advice or tips anyone has, but when someone replies with "You're obviously young" and "He'll see what the real world is like" that is a little uncalled for. If they can't come down off the horse to speak with somebody new who has questions, they need not reply. Again- I appreciate their help ifthey offer any, but I don't need someone telling me I'm immature for asking a question. At one time- they had questions too. My questions are not meant to be a personal attack on anyone or their business.

We have all had this argument on here before. If you search the archives you'll see.
Thanks NC, I'll look into the archives.
BTW- My initial question wasn't meant to be an argument. It was a legitimate question. But some condescending replies have left me to believe I must defend myself and my intentions.

If you are gonna do it full time, you are gonna be at least a year behind.Here's how it works... During deer season, he's slammed with deer...all day long and into the night. It's hard to get any work done with the constant interuptions. So he takes in 100 deer without getting much done in that 3 month time. Then he spends, say 15 hrs a deer, skinning, salting, tanning and mounting. 15 x 100= 1500 hrs. But in the mean time he is also getting turkey, fish, coyotes, and all other such critters. Now for a full time taxi, this is his living so he has to take in all he can or is able to do. But at the end of a year, he still has work in the freezer and then deer season starts all over.
NC- Again, thank you for being so clear. I wasn't aware of this, so your information is very helpful. Now I see why it wouldn't just take a few months to get something done. Your explanation makes total sense, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain how it works instead of getting on a soapbox about the whole thing.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I live in central NJ on the ocean and the cost of liveing is off the chart, example: rent one bedroom apt $1200 a month elect $110 a month etc. gas for car $2.39 a gallon car insurance $700 a year. I have to make big bucks just to live here. If you check out my web page you can see what I charge for my work. I gross about $45-60,000.00 per year but I am here 6-7 days a week 10-14 hours a day. Don't get me wrong I love what I do and look forward to coming in every day. My shop is on a major highway and I am now receiveing work all year. Thats me not everyone else. Good luck with your business adventure.

Rich

http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 03-30-2006, 12:56 PM

Rich- thank you very much for being so candid. Your advice is very helpful.

p.s. I checked your site out. Very good work!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cam..
You start a thread off with.."Unbelievable ......"
You knew your attitude going in and so did everyone else, it was ....self evident?
A guy (you) that comes to what is basically a trade forum and waves an attitude around is gonna get some back. I really think they went easy on you, and I even said to cut you a break. I don't think I was offensive by saying you will find out how the real world operates, because you did in fact. NC and RGS gave you a lesson in short order. Did you not just say:
NC- Again, thank you for being so clear. I wasn't aware of this, so your information is very helpful. Now I see why it wouldn't just take a few months to get something done. Your explanation makes total sense,
So, maybe if you would have phrased your title something like
"Why the long wait at Taxi" and gone on to say "I am wanting to get into taxidermy butI don't understand why it takes so long to turn around a customer's mount",I bet you would have gotten a very different response. I had always heard that taxidermists were very unwilling to share knowledge with newcomers. I have found this to be the most false idea ever thought up. I think it is all about your attitude and approach. You may be new, but many guys here have seen and heard it all when it comes to this sort of thing. Be sincere, ask questions and avoid making negative comments about an industry you are looking to get into.
I personally have found these guys to be extremely eager to help with anything. Good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Default RE: Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Livbucks- Thanks for the advice. I can see how my title would convey such a message. I just want you to know that I was not saying that anyone's way to run a business is right or wrong. You're right- I should've phrased it differently. I guess it was unbelievable to me, so that's why I titled it that way. After learning why it is the way it is, it makes sense how someone would be three years out.

After I learn and get started, I don't think I'll have preconcieved notions about how it works. Remember- I don't know anything about it! So I was very, very suprised to learn that a person could be 3 years out. I meant no disrespect to anyone who does this. He is obviously qualified or people wouldn't wait that long.

Thanks for the advice Livbucks. I appreciate it. Good luck with your business also.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 PM

(Thanks to Livbucks I have edited the title of the post. Now maybe it's not so abrasive! Thanks for pointing that out Livbucks.)

Old 03-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a middle child....peacekeeping comes natural to me.
We're all learning as we go anyway, right?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

livbucks - Where you're at they may be open to new guys but here----Whew! I was almost thrown out, literally! Heck, once I joined the state association, it was like they accepted me. It was wierd. Since then, I've only been almost thrown out of one! That was because I went with a buddy to pick up his mount and started talking to the taxi about joining the state association. Boy was she pissed!
cameron - trust all of us when we say this - don't go into taxidermy for the money. It is a labor of love. The money may come afterwards, but don't do it for the money. Once you get a reputation, good or bad it's up to you, then the money will be there or it won't.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 PM

NC- once again great advice. I've never done any of my jobs for the money. I think it's very important to work at a job that you enjoy- and I feel like I would enjoy taxidermy.

My wife is (and always will) make more money than I ever will, so I'm ok with that! Money isn't a big deal to me.

Something my Grandfather taught me: Money has nothing to do with happiness. You have to enjoy what you do.

Quick Reply: Unexpected wait time at taxi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.