Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxi. questions

Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Taxi. questions

I am interested in becoming a Taxidermist. I was wonderingif some of you Professionals have some advice. At first I just wanted to do it in my spare time, but after I realized you need all the same equipment to do it in your spare time as you do full time, I thought I might as well do it full time. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of Taxidermy? I know it may become monotonous like any other job, but I'm interested in working for myself, setting my own hours, etc in the hunting industry. I love building models/replicas, so I thought it may be a smooth transition into taxidermy. I have a friend who does it in his spare time and on the weekends, and turns down enough business that he could do it full time. He wants to get out of it, so he said he'd sell everything in his shop for $5,000. I don't know what all he has, but it sounds a little steep to me. I may try to find a taxidermist I can help on the weekends for free just to see ifI like it.
Anyway,do you have any advice?
Do I need to be certified?
Do the "Taxidermy Videos" teach you anything?
Is it hard to getfirst timeclients?

I would appreciate any advice or anything else you can think of! Thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Taxi. questions

The main thing is practice and more practice, read every thing you can on mounting, order all the catalogs and subscribe to Taxidermy today and Breakthrough trade magazines. Go to http://www.taxidermy.net and search and read everything you can, start on a part time basis and then when you get good go full time.

Rich

http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 PM

Thanks Rich. I've already ordered stuff from that site. It should be here soon.

Do you think going to a Taxidermy School would be beneficial? It's $1800 for a two week course, and I don't really have that much, but I could get it. What do you think?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

What site have you ordered stuff from?? School is always good if you can afford it, the taxidermy business is such that it takes time to start making money.If I were you, I would sign up for the mini classes this spring in north carolina (the classes are very cheap), and also see if you can spend some time at a taxidermy shop at least 60 miles away from you, that way you will not be consedered a threat to his business. I did this and I went for three years and then told all my friends that I would mount there work for the cost of material only, after 8-9 months I put my sign up and was in business (only part time at first)But do what I said in the first responce and practice on every thing you can.The money will come as you get better.

Rich

http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 03-21-2006, 03:05 PM

I've ordered stuff from taxidermy.com. Good advice on the helping at a taxidermy shop farther away. I hadn't thought of that aspect. I appreciate your help!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Go to http://www.taxidermy.net not taxidermy.com

Rich
Old 03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's start with the pros - You can get into it for $5000 (equipment). A mechanic will spend several $1000s more than that.You are your own boss. You set your own hours. You get to do something that you love. You can make some good money.
Cons - Education may cost $12000. You are really never your own boss, because ultimately you have a customer to answer to. Setting your own hours consist of 12 - 16 hrs a day. Forget about hunting and fishing like you do now. WHy is your friend getting out of it? It takes years to build up a good clientell, unless you have it fall in your lap.You never, ever stop studying and learning, if you do - YOU WILL LOSE CUSTOMERS! You spend 3 - 5 months a year, getting slammed with work, people calling all hours of the night. Then spend the rest of the year trying to get caught up, all th while those same customers are calling you everyday to find out if theirs is done yet.
Me - I friggin love it. I went to a community college. Joined my state association. Made a few great friends and mentors, some of the great names in my state. I do it part time, not because I don't have the work but because I have a family to feed and benefits and paid vacation. I learn everyday, work 4 - 6 hrs a day everyday, after work. I spend more time in my deer than most taxis in my area, trying to produce the best mount I can possibly do. But in return, I just got in my first African stuff, I took the doe that I posted on here, to a nearby bow shop. The owner called and said he has 3 freezers full of stuff, he never mounted anything cause he says he "never saw a taxidermists mounts he was impressed with". Remember the comment about "falling in your lap".
I am not trying to discourage you just letting you know what you have to look forward to. Join your local state association, then contact the president or other board members and see if they will help you. Your friend should be able to show you alot. Best of luck and if there is anyway that I can help, I'll be glad to.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:05 PM

nctaxi-
Thanks for the info. My friend is getting out of it because he was offered a new job and doesn't want to do both. He no longer needs to supplement his income with taxidermy, and has kids now, so he wants to spend his time with them. I'm sure he would be willing to teach me, but he lives 9 hrs away, so it would be over the phone!

How do you mean education could cost $12000? Do you have to take classes, or is it optional?

I appreciate the advice!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, some Taxidermy Schools charge that much. I feel lucky that I live in NC and there are3 community colleges that offer taxidermy classes really cheap. Where I went they charged $65 per quarter plus mount fees, that's dirt cheap. But they only teach the basics, it's up to you to learn beyond that. If your friend really wants to sell his stuff for that and you're serious - jump on it. Depending on what he has, of course.
Schooling is optional, you can learn by videos and alot of reading. But the benefits of schooling is that you cut down on the learning curve, you have an instructor that catches you before you really screw up. Don't think because I went to school that I don't have videos. Order a couple and see what you think - check out www.taxidermy.net especially the forum section.
There are thousand of reasons I can give you to not get into it, but I can't imagine my life without it, just like hunting. When you mount your first deer, and it actually looks like a deer[8D], it's a great feeling. It really is a labor of love.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:30 PM

I was going to offer you my shop for sale with all the equipment in it and molds, but if $5,000 is steep forget about my offer, but for anybody interested 3.5 million and not a penny less

Includes 450 saltwater fish molds, 3000 Sq. Foot shop and display area.
2.5 acres in the redlands Florida (Horse country) 15 stables producing $5,000 a month rental stalls.
3.0 cres avocado and mango orchard produces $21,000 Anually in fruits.
400+ Customer base producing 750,000 in animal mounts annually.
30,000 in saltwater fish mounts monthly.

6 acres of land in the redland area valued at 110,000 per acre

3,000 sq ft CBS home with italian tiles all over and newly refurbished kitchen.
2 additioanal metal buildings and pens for animals.

Moving out Of Miami to Orlando soon.

Quick Reply: Taxi. questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.