Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 mount return time? >

mount return time?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

mount return time?

Old 03-04-2006, 06:46 PM

Default mount return time?

Whats the average time for a mount to be completed? my guy takes about a year, my son went to someone else who was cheeper and it was a year in november! he called a couple of times but the only info he gets is "not done yet" (deer shoulder mount)
Old 03-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mount return time?

this is an old subject ,do a search and you will find threads on it , from my own experiences i have been quoted return time of 14 months on the last two i had done and it was one day shy of two years when i got them back. my oldest son is getting into taxidermy and i took him a small buck and a doe right after Xmas and my younger son is coming home tommorrow with the mounts . so that is about 2 and 1/4 months
Old 03-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

bearbuster - Unfortunately, that is the biggest complaint about taxidermist. I am a taxidermist, although part-time, and my turn around time isn't nearly as long as full time taxis. Here's how it works... During deer season, he's slammed with deer...all day long and into the night. It's hard to get any work done with the constant interuptions. So he takes in 100 deer without getting much done in that 3 month time. Then he spends, say 15 hrs a deer, skinning, salting, tanning and mounting. 15 x 100= 1500 hrs. But in the mean time he is also getting turkey, fish, coyotes, and all other such critters. Now for a full time taxi, this is his living so he has to take in all he can or is able to do. But at the end of a year, he still has work in the freezer and then deer season starts all over. Now I am part-time, I take in 15 - 20 deer and various other critters. My turn around time is roughly 2-4 months. But I have a full time job to fall back on when things are slow. It's really a catch 22 type of thing. I can see both sides on this one. I'm not trying to nock anyone or make myself seem better, but for me it's a hobby that I enjoy and make a little money on. I charge higher prices than alot of full time taxis in my area, but I feel that I do as good if not better work. If your not happy, find another taxi that you are happy with. Ultimately it is your money and trophy.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bearbuster, not sure where your son took it but my guy is in Turnersville, and he doeas GREAT work, butexpect it to be a year on the dot. I also have a guy in MD, he does my sikas, and he usually has them done in 3-6 months, he also does great work, just not as big a business. I don't mind waiting for quality work, the more important thing to me is that the Taxidermist is honest up front with how long to expect....
Old 03-05-2006, 07:32 AM

hey rooster, bet we use the same guy!! his work is great!! i think greg is one of the best around... as for the other guy a friend of a friend and cheeper so my son said he try it!! but stay away from the atco guy!!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Beware of Taxidermists that promises weeks turn around, such a taxidermist lacks the work because he is either New or is bad and has no work, That is the bottom line. I Think Nctaxi explained right, Now imagine taking in 300+ Whitetails, 150 exotics, 30 or 40 elks, 200 ducks, 1500 saltwater fish, 387 bass and other odds and end mounts such as European skulls and antler mounts, Plus I pastor 2 churches.This is my workload right now with 3 taxidermists and 6 assistants.

And you want your deer When ? LOL
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The weeks turnaround is not always the truth, Alex. Although I agree with you but there are exceptions to every rule, my average turn around time is 10 weeks. I only do taxidermy part time, so I take in what I want, not because I'm new or do bad work. I really took in more than I wanted to this year, but I just finished the 14th with the longest turnaround 2.5 months. I put roughly 15 -30 hrs into each deer. I had a guy today tell me that I was out of my mind to put that much time in a deer. He also told me I was too high. I told him it goes hand in hand. I admire the fact that Alex takes in all that but for me it's a hobby that I enjoy, when I take in more than I want it becomes a job. I turned down more than I took in this year. I also admire the fact that Alex has the time to be so involved with the church. Congradulations Alex.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Wildlife Preservsations here in Northern New Jersey, and his work is the best I've seen. I waited 15 months for my full body NJ Black Bear, and in November I dropped off my NJ 9 pointer, which he told me 12-14 months to do. I can careless about the time it takes to be done, all I know is that George does amazing work, and quality work takes time.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe what bowhunter has said as I have had a brook trout done
and it took a little over a year. As I recieved references on who was
good from a friend. This was after I had someone due a wood duck
for me that I had never gotten back as " someone stole it " and I
ended up out of my deposit for a while. It took quite a while to even
get my deposit back but that I did. So it is up to you what to do.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

The weeks turnaround is not always the truth, Alex. Although I agree with you but there are exceptions to every rule, my average turn around time is 10 weeks. I only do taxidermy part time, so I take in what I want, not because I'm new or do bad work. I really took in more than I wanted to this year, but I just finished the 14th with the longest turnaround 2.5 months. I put roughly 15 -30 hrs into each deer. I had a guy today tell me that I was out of my mind to put that much time in a deer. He also told me I was too high. I told him it goes hand in hand. I admire the fact that Alex takes in all that but for me it's a hobby that I enjoy, when I take in more than I want it becomes a job. I turned down more than I took in this year. I also admire the fact that Alex has the time to be so involved with the church. Congradulations Alex.
Do you tan the skins or dry preserve ?

Quick Reply: mount return time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.