Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Cape size and pose >

Cape size and pose

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Cape size and pose

Old 02-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cape size and pose

I have a basket racked perfect 8 point rack that is currently mounted from 1972. I want to remount it on an appropriate sized new cape. I surmise that the buck was aged probably 3.5 years. The spread is about 11 inches outside with 4 inch brows and 6-7 inch G2 points. The form it is on now seems very under sized and a good bit of hide was probably trimmed off to make it fit originally, making the mount look tiny compared to more modern mounts. What would a good size cape be for this? Also, what pose would accentuate the rack most. It is currently mounted with ears forward alert which was a huge mistake on the original taxidermists part, (ears overshadow the rack). Just some queries from a newbie...this will be my first mount. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Cape size and pose

what was the season when you shot it? was it early bow season? or maybe late season rut? then think about what you want to see in the mount. i would like to see the rack, not the deer ears. but alot of my customers like the alert look.
i would do it as a wall pedistal, with a right or left turn and with the ear on the side of the turn pulled in and behind the rack, the other just rotated and back a little. then get white banded eyes, and position the inside turn eye so you can see the front white ring. the other eye show the back white ring. i like this mount. but that is just me.
and it is just an idea for you, i am sure lots of others will have good ideas also. good luck on you mount!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:02 PM

If ears are mounted correctly, and that means angle, position and placement, ears wont hide any decent set of antlers. Many taxidermists set the ears way too high and "up", which would have to be the case to hide antlers. I find ears forward and alert to make a mount look very alive and alert.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bill, you hit the deer on the ear, so to speak. The ears are way up and straight forward, right along the rack, even against it. They are also positioned exactly the same.

Manboy, I was thinking the same thing almost, having a turn with some white of the eye showing. I like the thought of a nose down pose to put the rack out there to see. I was looking at the McKenzie 64d mannikin but read somewhere that the face is somewhat small and nose too pointy on that form. The buck was shot by my Dad in the deep snow of gun season at camp in 1972.
I would want a little swell, not much though..I want it to look realistic.

Guys, my biggest concern is...what size cape would be appropriate for a buck of this age? What do you see in you shops as far as neck and eye measurements for a PA deer of 2.5 or 3.5 years of age?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:19 PM

The majority of the mature bucks I mount here locally will be 7 3/4 X 19 X 23 or better. A rack the size of yours might be from a yearling or 2 yr old if it were from these parts. If it were me, Id look for a real pretty colored 7 1/2 X 18 X 21 or 22 cape, and just adjust the cape while mounting to get a swell look to it, not over-done. I turn the eyes to show the sclera on every deer I do, as I feel its more realistic and accurate, and most of my customers feel the same. When I use the 64U, I also wedge out the head a bit to get that heavier look back. Good luck with your project!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The buck was from the ANF in 1972. Anyone that remembers buck hunting back then knows that a basket rack 8, especially with this one's symmetry, was a trophy back then. Most bucks were shot as spikes or forks then. This one is no big deal by today's standards butat the timeit would have won the big buck contest in Kane. They always had a category for most symmetrical and this buck would have cleaned house in that category. I know it islikely 2.5 and possibly 3.5 years of age, although I lean toward 2.5.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Ahh, come on Livbucks! The way you answered that makes it look like I was dissing that buck. You know Id never do that. I was only going by the size, and the reccommendation you asked for. I would never belittle another persons trophy, in case you might have read my intent wrong. I was just saying it COULD be a younger buck, so you, if you were looking to, could save money by not HAVING to purchase a huge cape if you didnt need to. Sorry if you took me wrong!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

BILL!
Stop being so sensitive to other's sensitivities!
I did not take any offense to anything you said! I was merely trying to convey what age and type of buck so as to get your accurate opinion. You read some type of attitude into my post that was not there. I know it isn't a mature buck. I thought there was some question on your part as to what age class the buck fell into and I was just trying to get more specific. I value every bit of advice you have given me, trust me. I am not here to bicker and pick arguments. I am someone who wants to know half of what you know insofar as taxidermy and would consider myself lucky to make it that far.
I am really taken back by your last post....unless you are just messing with me. If I am goofing up on something, letme know. I am just starting out and value your opinion, even if critical in nature.
I plan on asking many more questions, if that is alright?
I'm stillshaking my head in confusion....I don't know where you got that idea.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

The buck was from the ANF in 1972. Anyone that remembers buck hunting back then knows that a basket rack 8, especially with this one's symmetry, was a trophy back then. Most bucks were shot as spikes or forks then. This one is no big deal by today's standards butat the timeit would have won the big buck contest in Kane. They always had a category for most symmetrical and this buck would have cleaned house in that category. I know it islikely 2.5 and possibly 3.5 years of age, although I lean toward 2.5.

Thanks for the advice.
Post a pic so we can see what the rack looks like, also a smaller ear whitetail will make the rack stand out more, some whitetails can have larger ears in one area of the country than others.
I know southern deer have bigger ears than others and texas deer usually have smaller ears.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:47 PM

Livbucks, I really wasnt messing with you, but I think I did misunderstand you. I thought you were a bit put out as though I was calling the buck small, or something similar. I guess Im a bit gun shy in here lately, as I seem to get into a misunderstanding about once a week, anyway, lol. You should see my PMs lately! I guess when I read your post, I was thinking that you felt I called the buck young, when you mentioned it was older then that, and taken in an area that would consider your buck a pretty darn good one, which it is! No, Im not sensitive, I guess thats why I blunder into these sometimes. Anyway, no harm doen, I see. Glad to clear that up.

Quick Reply: Cape size and pose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.