Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 too much of a nice guy >

too much of a nice guy

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

too much of a nice guy

Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default too much of a nice guy

well...you guy may remember me talking about a squirrel that im having mounted....taking FOREVER...it will be 2years on feb 4th....just called him...i called every few months for about the last year.....fall it would be ready in a couple months...winter it will be done around the first of the year......today...ahh im REALLY REALLY behind on this stuff....im working on squirrels now...yours been here a while...i said nicely yes its been 2 years...he said another couple months im pretty upset...if i would known it would took THIS long i would ate the thing or taken it somewhere else....at first he said that it would be about a year or so....i know you guys said to be nice but get it back or something...i just couldnt....im too nice!!! i am in a hole....and want my squirrel on my wall!!!! if it isnt done by the end of this semester im driving to his shop and asking for it and my deposit back!! it will be 2 and a half years...which i think is plain rediculous...he could atleast been honest...or could refused to take it....anything i can do for future taxidermy? i looked at the recipt and he left the expected return date BLANK.....can i ask for a return date in the future for other guys?? if that was on there i wouldnt feel bad at all about saying hey..the return date say 1 year...id like it back or finished this month.....just dont know....i want my squirrrrrrrel!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: too much of a nice guy

When a customer drops anything off I let them know the anticiapated completion time. 2 years for a squirrel is a bit long, unless he told you so when you dropped it off, which he didnt.
Rich
www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 PM

I agree 2 years for a squirrel is a little bit long. They realy don't take that long to mount.As for asking for a return date. Most taxidermists will not give an return date. They give a time frame. Mine is 9 month wether it takes that long or not. I try my absoute best never to go over that. If I feel it will go over that time fram i always call the customer or customers and let them know.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

well...you guy may remember me talking about a squirrel that im having mounted....taking FOREVER...it will be 2years on feb 4th....just called him...i called every few months for about the last year.....fall it would be ready in a couple months...winter it will be done around the first of the year......today...ahh im REALLY REALLY behind on this stuff....im working on squirrels now...yours been here a while...i said nicely yes its been 2 years...he said another couple months im pretty upset...if i would known it would took THIS long i would ate the thing or taken it somewhere else....at first he said that it would be about a year or so....i know you guys said to be nice but get it back or something...i just couldnt....im too nice!!! i am in a hole....and want my squirrel on my wall!!!! if it isnt done by the end of this semester im driving to his shop and asking for it and my deposit back!! it will be 2 and a half years...which i think is plain rediculous...he could atleast been honest...or could refused to take it....anything i can do for future taxidermy? i looked at the recipt and he left the expected return date BLANK.....can i ask for a return date in the future for other guys?? if that was on there i wouldnt feel bad at all about saying hey..the return date say 1 year...id like it back or finished this month.....just dont know....i want my squirrrrrrrel!!!!!!!

Geeez Mauser I thought you had picked that up by now like I told you before.

Pick it up and if it is still mountable send it to me ,I will mounted for you pronto no charge but you pay the shipping.
That is all I can do for you, as I feel bad for you.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys.....i feel like such a fool....im just a nice guy....and buy into BS really easy..he says another month i say ok thanks...if its not done by the end of the semester im getting it back........alex...thanks alot for the offer...thats a very nice thing to offer..i appriciate it....i hope it dont go that far......the squirrel he did for my friend looked aweosme......my friend got mad and never picked it up....i dont even know why he wanted it mounted....it was a small/average sized fox squrirel for around home...he thought it was huge or something..but it looked lifelike and i inspected it very thouroughly at the shop....looked great....i didnt hear all these stories till after i dropped it off.....i know another taxidermist in the area(friend now...he has a trout being mounted for me now...hes my goto man now...) and he knew the guy....said he only works on big stuff......he wanted him to work for him...my friend seen how he worked and said no way he didnt want any part of it...opened his own shop...friend dropped a fish off there a long time ago....took 2-3years and looked like crap....should never went there....i knew of no other taxidermist in the area...and he has displays all over the place....and he supposedly quit doing fish when my buddy took his in...but took it anyways...

what do i do if the squirrel gets done and looks like crap?? sloppy...rushed ect.....?? what if i get it back and its NOT my squirrel?!?! maybe he lost mine..it was a gray squirrel with a dark choclate belly and alot of dark markings...no white......i took pics...but my stupid camera ate the film! im just making myself worry now
Old 02-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does this taxidermist's name start with the letter A? I'm from Pennsylvania also. Just from listening to your story, I thought of a friend of mine's experience that sounds similar to yours. Then I saw that you are from SW PA. I wonder if it is the same taxidermist.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Mauser, its a good thing to be a nice guy. I have a feeling you wouldve waited either way, nice or not. I have long waits here too, so I know from where I speak. I appreciate guys being nice, as you say. When I havent gotten to a mount yet, a call from them to "remind" me doesnt really help. I find myself trying to plase them with the best answer I can. They keep asking, I keep answering. It gets us nowhere. I learned the hard way to be as up front as possible, and stress the point that Im swamped. If they call, I dont give them a return date, unless I know one. Thats what works best for me, but I tell you this just so you see its not always due to dishonesty.

Michelle, I cant believe you slipped and said that! You said about the squirrel, "they really dont take that long to mount" We all know its not how long it takes, its where it is on the waiting list and how much work is ahead of it. Im sure that was just a goof on your part, lol.

Mauser, next time you deal with a taxidermist, make sure he does fill in the spot for time frame. I only talk of estimates, and we write it in as an estimate only. Many studios DO post a return date, as they are much more timely, and can give you a pretty accurate return date. At this point it sounds like the guy just cant get to your squirrel for whatever reason, and shouldnt miss not having it. I dont know about your deposit though. I can tell you that at my studio, deposits are just that, deposits, and therefore not returnable. The exception might be a small mount that was just frozen, like your squirrel, so maybe you can work that out too. Id go relieve him of the obligation and send it down to Alex.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:00 PM

YeahI would go pick it up and send it to Alex.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

the part that really chaps my arse is that i can bet anything that THIS past seasons big game is done and returned...like i understand those make more profit..take more time ect......but if your going to put off small stuff dont bother accepting the work.....he is usually pretty snippy and rude on the phone the few times ive called.....today he was fairly nice...i know hes just doing his job but he needs to rethink it.....
Old 02-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I little squirell for 2 years! If you don't mind me asking how much are you paying to have it done?

Quick Reply: too much of a nice guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.