Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Apprenticeship?? >

Apprenticeship??

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Apprenticeship??

Old 09-29-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Apprenticeship??

Do taxidermists do things like apprenticships or things like that? Or is taxidermy pretty much either go to school for it or learn on your own?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Default RE: Apprenticeship??

It use to be many many years ago, you were lucky if you could find a book to learn taxidermy from.

today there are hundreds of video tapes and books and a few schools.

I learned when I was in my teens by working during summer vactaions from ataxidermist that I cleaned shop and helped around, until I saterted doing little things at home. so you can say I learned on my own and took a correspondence course that cost me $12 in those days from JW Elwood Taxidermy school. You'll find out most taxidermists my age also went through the same thing.

I don't know anyone taking in apprenticeships as an apprentice will be future competition.

You may have to go out of town to get some lessons, i don't know if Bill Yox is still offering that.???
Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 PM

yes u can go to school like i did and waste 10,000$ or u can learn from books whick would be extremely hard with no experience or u can go to a local taxidermist and ask if u can just kinda watch and learn and maybe help him out for free. Or u can find a really good taxidemist and offer him money for a 1 on 1 teaching. Thats what i wish i would have done. Sure u learn from the best at a fraction of the cost of a school and its 1 on 1 and u just cant beat that. That is the way to go. I just loved the experience of being at the school. So much fun, got places to hunt in 6 different states now so it turned out for the better.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:14 PM

Even though I teach, and offer one on one workshops, I still always suggest doing the videos and books first. Getting some info and repetitions under your belt first is the best way to do it, and also sets you up better if you decide later to try the school route. Personally speaking, I prefer to just offer the advanced classes for guys already in the biz. I have beginner classes but I just feel like Im taking someones money, not so well spent. A twenty dollar video can last a long time! I doubt youll find a good solid taxidermist that has the time to have a guy just hang out to learn. Having said that, sometimes you can find a guy who just needs some help and is willing to train in exchange for the work. Its worth a try asking!
Old 09-29-2005, 09:47 PM

I agree with Bill. Its worth asking if you could be of help.It's worth a shot toaskyour local taxidermist if he/she could find work for you in exchange for you observing. I do taxidermy on the side and I wouldn't mind it at all if someone observed.... especially if they agreed to plow my driveway for the winter.....or something like that