Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 I want to try Taxidermy - help >

I want to try Taxidermy - help

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

I want to try Taxidermy - help

Old 06-10-2005, 11:58 AM

Default I want to try Taxidermy - help

I actually signed up for classes last year and the guy's house burned down and he canceled.

So I'm thinking ......... new house, unrestricted area, I have a HUGE garage and some cash to invest and why not now ?

So .......... where can I find info that will tell a guy steps A,B,C etc etc on what to buy, what to read, what to watch and how to start my own taxidermy ? I got horns , I'll need capes plus all the equipment to get me started and help too.

On EBAY about a year ago a guy sold a Taxidermy business - all the stuff, and a couple weeks hands on too. Thats an opportunity I should have taken

Anyone have any pointers/opinions ? My goal ? Do my own mounts, a few on the side maybe for some cash and if my artistic abilities from high school haven't left me I could maybe do a part-time business if for nothing more than tax write offs
Old 06-10-2005, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I want to try Taxidermy - help

sorry your on your own.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:57 AM

You may try getting a job with another taxidermist for a while. Make sure he is a reputable taxidermist.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM

MOTOWNHONKEY - Thanks for the help. I'll post a picture or two this fall of the first deer I complete.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

No prob data, look forward to seeing the doe you mount this fall. The hole thru her ear will be the tail tail sign that you were shooting good with your bow that day.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you bought your supplies yet data?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Data,
I would try to find a reputable taxidermist and try to learn from him. My brother-in-law started out that way. He learned alot of the basics and then went from there on his own. You can contact McKenzie Taxidermy. They have all the tools, etc & how too videos and taxidermists on staff to help you in a jam.

My brother in law did 5 or 6 deer with the guy, and then he started doing it on his own. He works full time and just does it as a hobby. This season he has done 6 or 7 nice bucks which all came out very good. He did mine 2 years ago (his first) and it has held together nicely. He has since done several bass and a few pike. He is only doing them for "people he knows" and putting alot of time into each an everyone.

Give it a try and try your best. Good luck w/ it and I hope to see a pic of your first this fall!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems simple on paper but it's way harder than it looks. I tried a deer (screwed up with the ears), birds (kept ripping the skin) and fish (many problems). The one thing you need most of all is to be patient. I always wanted to rush and get to the finished mount. That's where you screw up. Apprentice with a taxidermist first - even if it means throwing away hides and entrails for free for a while. It's valuable first-hand knowledge.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:17 PM

If you were in Florida I could teach you, but don't think that taxidermy is learned in 2 weeks, i've being doing it for 40 years and I still learn new things.
Get acquainted by buying videos from ,Van Dykes taxidermy supply or Wasco Taxidermy supply, Come and read on or Web site WWW.Taxidermy.net/forumsand you can buy all types of animals and birds to practice with.
Alex The Hawk.
Advance Taxidermy Services,Inc
Miami Florida
Old 07-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

I've done a few deer the last couple of years. I would suggest that you give it a try without making a big investment. As others have said it is not easy and takes time and patience but as I have proved, a non artistic clod can mount a deer. Working with a taxidermist would be ideal. Also check out the taxidermy forum that Alex linked you to, it's real informative.

John

Quick Reply: I want to try Taxidermy - help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.